Powerstroke electric vacuum pump.

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that my hydroboost conversion is complete, I'm planning on eliminating my belt driven vacuum pump and converting to the electric power stroke unit. A few questions:
1 Is a relay needed or can it be wired with a fusible link?
2 Any body have a v-belt number for a vacuum pump delete?
3 Can i use the coffee can vacuum tank or do I need to rig something else?
4 Is this a good idea?
Thanx in advance for any advice/suggestions

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the v-belt delete, why do you need any parts? It's just driven off of the alternator. Removing it won't cause any issues with other belt drive accessories. I'd imagine coffee can is enough, its primary purpose is for the cruise control, which is the largest vacuum draw you have left. Only others are the vacuum motors, etc. for your HVAC doors. Unless I'm forgetting something else obvious.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Removing it won't cause any issues with other belt drive accessories. .[/QUOTE]

UNLESS, the vacuum pump oil reservoir,,is getting close to dry.. and if the shaft and internal bearing seize,,,,,wellllllll

Jjona5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what he was getting at is the vacuum pump is the only thing on that belt. So just remove the belt and vacuum pump.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inline fuse or fusible link should be fine if you've got a healthy line to pull from. Probably want it on just a key on power so it doesn't leak off and run randomly. If you can't find a heavy line to pull from, you can run a relay off your fuel shutoff switch like you would for electric fuel pumps. Might be the smartest most straight forward way to do it anyway.

If you aren't adding anything else to the vac system, the coffee can should be fine.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I wired it off one of the fan wires so the pump only came on with the HVAC system since that's all it's used for. (cruise is a later full electronic unit) On 84-86 rigs the wire you want is the orange or brown/orange going into the blower motor. This wire will have +12 anytime the HVAC system is on.

The vacuum pump I used is a volvo unit that has an internal relay and pressure switch, so all I had to do is connect the relay wire to the fan wire and the other 2 to power/ground. Not sure how a PSD pump is setup though.

Jjona5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question. which power steering pump did you use? Or did you just change out the reservoir?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I used a superduty one - IIRC I bought a reman one off rockauto for something like $40. They're cheap enough it just makes sense.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that my hydroboost conversion is complete, I'm planning on eliminating my belt driven vacuum pump and converting to the electric power stroke unit. A few questions:
1 Is a relay needed or can it be wired with a fusible link?
2 Any body have a v-belt number for a vacuum pump delete?
3 Can i use the coffee can vacuum tank or do I need to rig something else?
4 Is this a good idea?
Thanx in advance for any advice/suggestions

Some info here, the vacuum unit of the super duty trucks draws around 0.6A, doesn't need a relay, 1A inline fuse wouldn't hurt.

The pump I have makes 16 in Hg, if you remove all the vacuum stuff in the truck, keep the check valve (round disk looking 3 way "T" thing) center is the check valve that has the vacuum source go to it, one end of the T goes to the reservoir on the side of the ac box, and the other one goes to your HVAC controls.

These units turn them self off at the preset value so no external switches are required.

Ditch the coffee can res, things probably rust out anyway and is for the cruise control (which btw can be swapped out for the newer electronic one)

V-belts, just ditch the belt and pump, on serp setups get an inch or so shorter belt and ditch the pump, one less thing to seize and throw your belt(s).

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, appologize for the sorta hijack here. 16 in Hg is not a lot. I'm seriously considering an exhaust brake. BD makes them that run on vacuum rather than compressed air. It would be really nice to be able to use the electric vacuum pump and not need an extra complete system on the truck. I'll go look up the specs on it eventually, but something to consider, if you are running anything like that where you will have a high demand for vacuum, you may want to consider a ballast can (aka the coffee can which you are right, is probably rusted out anyway). It won't boost the ultimate pressure but it will provide you with more volume (weird thinking about vacuum as a volume right :D). I would think that if 16 in Hg would pull the hubs in, it should be able to pull an exhaust brake but that is all down to the design of the diaphragm and actuator.

Good info on the pump btw. I had no idea it was that small.

hijack over.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ditched my mechanical on chip truck and did the super duty e-pump for HVAC.i used a fuse relay setup as it's cheap enough to do anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online