Power Steering Problem

grizzlyjosh

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I just got my engine put back together after having head work done and it runs great! That's the good news. The bad news is that I have not power steering and I can't figure out why. I removed the power steering pump still attached to the AC compressor stand in order to access the head but didn't mess with it at all while it was out. The only thing I can think of was that when I unscrewed the high pressure line, I took out the larger 15/16" along with the end of the line. When I picked up the pump, a somewhat bullet shaped thing fell out of the hole where the high pressure line was attached. When I put things together, I tried sliding the bullet thing in in both orientations, but neither way resulted in any power steering.
Anybody have an idea what might be going on?
thanks

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
There should be a spring behind it. Probably flew out someplace.
Yep. I replaced the Saginaw PS pump in my E350, reusing the metal reservoir. To do so, it meant taking off the nut piece that the line threads into. A spring was inside. The "bullet" piece is a valve, so it needs the spring to operate properly.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I put things together, I tried sliding the bullet thing in in both orientations, but neither way resulted in any power steering.

The spring goes in first, then the "bullet" goes in after. The narrow piece with the mesh screen goes towards the pump and the flat wider piece goes out towards the hose.

I might have a spring in the garage if you lost yours but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Just like it looks in the diagram TNBrett posted. Hadn't loaded on mine before I typed this.

grizzlyjosh

Reaction score
You people are amazing! I had a hunch that something else must have fallen out but I couldn't find an exploded diagram on the web. Thanks for posting that TNBrett.
I'm gonna try running my rolling magnet over my (gravel) driveway and see if I can find that spring. If not, I'll PM you chillman88 :).
Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88