Pics of 4wd e4od rear without transfer case installed

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will see if they have the spline count listed in the OD manuals that I have. This is the only pic that I have that gives an idea of the bolt pattern on the OD unit. It is a 6 bolt round flange, just not sure about hole/diameter measurements. In this application the c6 adapter would not be used. Too bad all the good pics in the manuals didn't scan well enough to see.
You must be registered for see images

I see where you are going now.

You want to attempt to use od direct on tcase flamge.

Take unit to wtecker see if lines up...any 4wd ford trams will do to test fit for our trucks and the transmissions that came with them.

Now we are speaking same language....see how that picture would have made your post clear to begine with..

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. They are very helpful. If the output shaft and spline count are the same it looks like the DNE2 unit may bolt up to the flange you showed. The adapter and DNE2 are 2 separate pieces. I would replace the c6 adapter with the transfer case flange in your pic and bolt the DNE2 unit to it. You can see the shape and # of bolts on the DNE2 unit in my pic above. Should have posted it up at first.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really think that would work. Worst case you'd have to build a small adapter plate to change the DNE2 bolt pattern to the same 6 bolt as the e40d.

Give Rose Auto Clinic a call. He dealt Us gears for years. Might know about DNE2's also.

http://roseautoclinic.com

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely someone has a picture of a transfer case input. If it was the same as your DNE, then you know it would work.

So, who has a 1356 laying around and can snap a good picture of the input shaft and flange?

(BTW, I don't!)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely someone has a picture of a transfer case input. If it was the same as your DNE, then you know it would work.

So, who has a 1356 laying around and can snap a good picture of the input shaft and flange?

(BTW, I don't!)

Yer shittin me rite?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yer shittin me rite?

Did you already do that and I am missing it? If so, I beg your forgiveness.

I do stand behind what I said, if he is wanting to bolt an DNE2 straight to the back of a 4wd tail housing, than it would make sense that it needs to be identical to a transfer case, that is supposed to be there...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight when I get home, I will attempt to slide my dne onto the back of my spare 4x4 zf. If it fits that(and it appears it will) then yes it will bolt onto a 4x4 e4od

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you already do that and I am missing it? If so, I beg your forgiveness.

I do stand behind what I said, if he is wanting to bolt an DNE2 straight to the back of a 4wd tail housing, than it would make sense that it needs to be identical to a transfer case, that is supposed to be there...

I will see ifn I cam snap a pic today.....whilst doing trans swap.

The 1356 from c 6 is in box of truck so should be anle snap pic.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End view of 1356
You must be registered for see images attach

Top view

There

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok time for conclusion. Yes the bolt pattern is the same for transfer case to dne. Now, we all know ford 4x4 trans all used same bolt pattern and spline count. There's the kicker. The spline count. Yes the dne does have same spline count as the output, but the splines themselves are shaped different. The dne does NOT slide onto the splines of the output shaft. Pictured are the trans output flange, the silly adapter that came with my dne(was behind a 2wd t18) and the dne up against the output shaft of the trans. Could just barely get splines to catch, but not slide on.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
And here is why. Trans output splines are pointed. Dne input splines are square

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Could the spline points be trimmed down to fit? I can't tell to much by the pictures but the root of the splines looks very similar if not the same. Some calipers would help.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here is why. Trans output splines are pointed. Dne input splines are square

Thanks for the info. So does that mean that the spline shape on the output shaft is different on the 2wd c6 vs the 4wd? Just asking because my DNE2 slides onto the 2wd c6 output shaft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online