Pics of 4wd e4od rear without transfer case installed

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am gathering info for a trans swap that I would like to do, though I am not sure when I would get to it. I currently have a c6/DNE2/3.54's setup. It has been solid and with some upgrades has done decent as far as mileage #'s. I am looking into an e4od swap along with still using my DNE2. This would give me a total of 8 gears (including double O/D for highway cruising). I have verified the inputs I would need for the US Shift controller. There are a number of other things that I wold need to change, but this thread is not about that.

I was told a while back by a knowledgeable IDI guy, that I believe has a DNE2 unit, that mine should bolt right up to the back of a 4wd e4od where the transfer case would normally go. I am trying to verify this. Does anyone have some pics of a 4wd e4od without the transfer case installed? Or even better, have one out of a truck that could take some measurements regarding bolt spacing etc. I would also need to verify that the output shaft on the trans would match up with the input on the DNE2. Is the output shaft diameter/spline count on the e4od the same as the c6? If the pattern and output shafts match up, then I need to make sure that the amount the shaft sticks out the back of the trans would allow for the DNE2 to mount flush with the back of the trans. If it sticks out too far then a spacer would be required for the DNE2.

Any info from people that have experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am gathering info for a trans swap that I would like to do, though I am not sure when I would get to it. I currently have a c6/DNE2/3.54's setup. It has been solid and with some upgrades has done decent as far as mileage #'s. I am looking into an e4od swap along with still using my DNE2. This would give me a total of 8 gears (including double O/D for highway cruising). I have verified the inputs I would need for the US Shift controller. There are a number of other things that I wold need to change, but this thread is not about that.

I was told a while back by a knowledgeable IDI guy, that I believe has a DNE2 unit, that mine should bolt right up to the back of a 4wd e4od where the transfer case would normally go. I am trying to verify this. Does anyone have some pics of a 4wd e4od without the transfer case installed? Or even better, have one out of a truck that could take some measurements regarding bolt spacing etc. I would also need to verify that the output shaft on the trans would match up with the input on the DNE2. Is the output shaft diameter/spline count on the e4od the same as the c6? If the pattern and output shafts match up, then I need to make sure that the amount the shaft sticks out the back of the trans would allow for the DNE2 to mount flush with the back of the trans. If it sticks out too far then a spacer would be required for the DNE2.

Any info from people that have experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks

What I can tell you is all Ford 4x4 trannies have the same output shaft size/spline count and the same bolt pattern except the 6 speed stuff. So if your overdrive unit is bolted to a 4x4 c6, it will bolt to a 4x4 E4OD, or any other Ford 4x4 tranny, manual or automatic.

P.S. I don't know about the newer automatics in the 6 speed era.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is currently bolted to the back of a 2wd c6. In the 4wd US Gear/DNE2 units they bolt in between the trans and the transfer case. I am thinking (about 85% sure) that the bolt pattern where the DNE2 mounts to the trans/tail-housing adapter is the same in the 2wd and 4wd models. The 2wd model uses a tail housing to adapt the DNE2 unit to the 2wd c6. If this is the case, then I should be able to simply bolt my DNE2 directly to the back of an e40d 4wd unit. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the details of any of the 4wd stuff since I have never owned one.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need a rear housing for transmission that goes with 4 x 4 tansfer case and the rear shaft that goes with the housing. Look in a junk yard. Good Luck!

Dave :)

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a rear housing for transmission that goes with 4 x 4 tansfer case and the rear shaft that goes with the housing. Look in a junk yard. Good Luck!

Dave :)

Thanks. I thought I might need the rear housing. So the rear shaft on the transmission is transfer case specific? I would think that the shaft coming out of the 4wd e4od would be the same regardless of which transfer case was originally attached....although Ford doesn't always do things that makes sense to me.

Highly doubtful.

Okay. Care to elaborate ? Any specific reason why?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Care to elaborate ? Any specific reason why?
First it is really NOT clear what you need.

If you currently have a 2wd C6 and expect to bolt your od to a 4wd E4OD they are two completely different cases.

I have here a 4wd C6 and 4wd E4OD both bolt to a standaerd 6 bolt 31 spline tcase...203 205 1354 1356 and an odball np 208 iirc...matters not all ford round 6 bolt 31 spline tcase are same and swap...

But where your OD bolts on is the C6 tailshaft extension housing if I am correct on a 2wd c6.

An E4OD 2wd extension hojsing haz different shafts inside and bolt pattern if memory serves me correctly thus your od wont bolt to it either...in its current state.

You require a new adapter and proba ly shaft to make your setup work with 4wd trans correctly if you want to retain the tcase

If just trying to adapt to e4od you likely still need new parts.

Im not 100 % on this but read and bolted enough to beleive I am correct

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First it is really NOT clear what you need.

If you currently have a 2wd C6 and expect to bolt your od to a 4wd E4OD they are two completely different cases.

I have here a 4wd C6 and 4wd E4OD both bolt to a standaerd 6 bolt 31 spline tcase...203 205 1354 1356 and an odball np 208 iirc...matters not all ford round 6 bolt 31 spline tcase are same and swap...

But where your OD bolts on is the C6 tailshaft extension housing if I am correct on a 2wd c6.

An E4OD 2wd extension hojsing haz different shafts inside and bolt pattern if memory serves me correctly thus your od wont bolt to it either...in its current state.

You require a new adapter and proba ly shaft to make your setup work with 4wd trans correctly if you want to retain the tcase

If just trying to adapt to e4od you likely still need new parts.

Im not 100 % on this but read and bolted enough to beleive I am correct

Thank you for the info. You are correct, my DNE2 is currently bolted to a 2wd c6 via an adapter tail housing that replaces the stock one.

For me to bolt it to a 2wd e4od I would need to find a DNE2 specific e4od tail housing adapter. Though I haven't looked, this is probably a long shot. When I mentioned that I would like to use my DNE2 along with an e4od a member responded "Why not just bolt it to the back of a 4wd e4od. It takes the same input shaft and bolt pattern of a X transfer case". I asked some question to clarify some and was told that "Yes, it should bolt up right where the transfer case would be".

I am aware that the 2wd e4od has a longer output shaft than the 4wd model. My question was 2 fold:
1. Is the diameter and spline count of the 4wd e4od output shaft the same as the spline count and diameter of the output shaft on my 2wd c6? And for curiosity sake, is it the same for the 2wd e4od? Meaning the only difference is the length.
2. I was hoping to get a few pictures of the rear end of a 4wd e4od without the transfer case installed. Preferably with a tape measure held up so I could have a measurement reference for bolt hole spacing and total diameter. Then possibly one from the side so that I could see how far the output shaft sticks out in a 4wd e4od.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the unit is bolted to a two wheel drive C6. You will need a two wheel drive E4. Four wheel drive tranns use a shorter output shaft.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the unit is bolted to a two wheel drive C6. You will need a two wheel drive E4. Four wheel drive tranns use a shorter output shaft.

Correct, but is the length the only difference between the output shafts of the 2wd c6, 2wd e4od and 4wd e4od. The DNE2 bolts to the 2wd c6 through the use of a separate tail housing adapter that replaces the stock unit. I have been told, and am trying to verify, that the unit itself (not the tail housing adapter) has the same bolt pattern as a few of the transfer cases that bolt up to the the 4wd e4od. If this is the case and the output shaft has the same diameter/spline count then theoretically I could bolt the DNE2 to the back of the 4wd e4od where the transfer case would go without using the custom tail housing that applies to the 2wd c6 application. This would give me an e4od that could be used in a 2wd application that had double OD and gear splitting capability.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your current od WILL NOT BOLT TO A 4 WD E40D it has a large ROUND 6 BOLT FLANGE

ALL FORD 4WD UP TO 6sp USE A STANDARD 6 BOLT ROUND FLANGE all autos and standard use same 6 bolt round fla ge with 31 spline shaft.

Your adapter likely has a 4 bolt pattern attaching to a 2wd c6 as I said...

Hang on pics coming

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your current od WILL NOT BOLT TO A 4 WD E40D it has a large ROUND 6 BOLT FLANGE

ALL FORD 4WD UP TO 6sp USE A STANDARD 6 BOLT ROUND FLANGE all autos and standard use same 6 bolt round fla ge with 31 spline shaft.

Your adapter likely has a 4 bolt pattern attaching to a 2wd c6 as I said...

Hang on pics coming

I will see if they have the spline count listed in the OD manuals that I have. This is the only pic that I have that gives an idea of the bolt pattern on the OD unit. It is a 6 bolt round flange, just not sure about hole/diameter measurements. In this application the c6 adapter would not be used. Too bad all the good pics in the manuals didn't scan well enough to see.
You must be registered for see images

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok snapped some pics ...

Here E4OD however tcase is installed....no worries got that covered!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Here looking back towards tcase...light colour you can see some of 6 bolt fla ge

No looking forward you ca see where the E4OD 4 wd tail shaft housing bolts to the main case....not anything like a C6 as I said.

Oh looky here a 4 wd C6 I just removed...you can see from side profile 2 of the 4 bolts holding 4wd tail shaft portion on...that is where your unit bolts on but onto a 2wd not this 4wd output shafts differ 2wd to 4we.

Here is the image of the 6 bolt fla ge where tcase bolts onto...exact same pattern and diameter az my E4OD ..this is a standard among fords.

There is that plain and simple enough?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88