Part fell out while changing the oil (bypass valve)

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Changing the oil for the first time and these fell into the oil pan when the filter came off. What does this mean? Can I put them back in and pin them in like they were when it was made or do I have to replace the oil cooler end? Is this easier on the Powerstroke than on the IDI. Do I have to jack up the engine to remove the cooler? Open to suggestions. I'm leaving it for now. This might explain my loping idle when I first start it. Maybe? Let me know if this has happened to anyone else or I'm just lucky:dunno. Thanks, Doug

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's the filter bypass valve.
Yes, explains the loping.
Just swap the end, but get the updated version with the snap ring that holds it in.
Pm gary(icanfixall), he actually has one. I was gonna buy it when mine did that, but ended up getting one locally.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common on the early psd.get the updated one with the snap ring.

You can put it back in and restake the edge with a hammer and center punch.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pmailed Gary. Hopefully he will have good news and I can get it moved soon. Thanks for the lead. I'll keep ya all posted. Doug

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure Gary has the header for a PSD and not the IDI. You don't say what year PSD you have, pretty sure there different. Why not just stick the spring in, then the black disc in, then the retaing ring and restake it with a punch.

That is not the oil pressure regulator, it's the filter bypass.

Last edited:

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could put everything back the way it was and re-stake it but I don't want to find this problem again. I called Conestoga Diesel and Mel had a cooler assembly that he could sell me with new O-rings. It's the newer style that has the snap ring which just feels better to me. I don't know how rarely they fail but I don't have the best luck. If I can eliminate a failure point, I would rather do that and wait for the next thing to fail. Fixing the same thing over and over gets kind of old after awhile. Good time to freshen the oil cooler up. 155,000 mile on it, it's probably not a bad idea. I watch a guy on You Tube do the replacement and didn't remove the front header. Normally I would do that but getting to that front header looks like a real pain. I'll buy both gaskets just in case. Hopefully it will go smoothly. I'll keep you posted, Doug

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.
If you're gonna do it, do it right. Just do both.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online