parking brake

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so its wintertime and im going through the rigs. Any one have the lengths of the parking break cables? mine enter through the front of the drum.

also any have any pics of the pedal assembly itself? lol i need to make a run to the scrap yard!

Thanks
-Mark

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never go to the trouble of putting used parking brake cables on one of these trucks. They all rust and freeze up eventually. That's why they are so cheap at the parts store, they sell a boat load of these things every year.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Will depend on cab configuration/wheelbase.
New cables aren't a whole lot.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
ohh yes damn! forgot. well its a regular cab 8 foot bed. il mesure wheel base tomorwo and thanks!

lol and bout the cabels ii know. i meant i have to get the pedal assembly since they do not stock them at part stores and id have to sella kidney to get one from a dealer haha

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mark; got one of those cables I bought for my 90, never put it on. You can have it. PM me for your addy and I'll send it to you. It's just for one rear wheel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't know about lengths, but I'll agree about the rusting and sticking. It's to the point that I don't even use my parking brakes anymore. I didn't bother to put cables on my Bronco during the conversion. I don't know if they work on my F150 and F250 since I didn't even bother to check them. I used to use the park brake on my 1995 ****** when it was new, but after they froze solid during the first winter, I started to park in gear. I know they're nice to have, but I just don't use them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A parking brake is a nice thing to have on a manual tranny truck. If you replace the cables, they do seem to last a long time before they freeze up again. I have never had a replacement set freeze up on me yet. Knock on wood, I have never had to replace the front cable at all on any truck. I usually have to rig up the "T" or equalizer bar and adjuster when it rusts and breaks.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Thanks guys! and i measured from tire to tire (center to center) and got 11 feet. is that sounding right?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
yup a reg cab 8ft bed has a 133in wheelbase. The best thing anyone can do for parking break systems is use it every time you park. This is why on old automatic trucks there, more often then not, usually not working and on manuals they work. Also if you use the parking break the self adjusters on the rear drum seem to work better.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten parking brake cables at FLAPS, including Advance Auto. RockAuto def. has them. The front cable coming from the pedal and the rear cables going to the drums are the same for all models. Only the intermediate cable in between varies with the cab/bed. You also need a little link that connects the front cable to the intermediate, and the splitter thing that links the intermediate to the two rear cables. For whatever reason, that splitter link is stoopid expensive, for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726