Parking brake problems

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was working on my Parking brake once again. I checked around town and was told to go the the dealer for cables. While I was there I was chatting w/ the parts man who told me that I would have to have the parts ordered, he said he could have the parts the next day. But in the mean time, he suggested to spray some type of break-free and see if I couldn't get it freed. If I still needed the part to call hiom and he would get on the way.

So I got a can of PB Blaster and went to spraying. I allowed it to soak for a while and began to work the cable from underneath. I noticed that I could pull the cable and it would retract somewhat. I looked at all of the areas where the cable entered the drums and the cable left the housing. One could distinctly see the cable sliding in and out. I then began to look at the mechanism inside the cab once again.

I mashed down the pedal to see if the gear was engaging, it was, but the release wasn't releasing. I pushed the end of the spring w/ a scewdriver and the pedal released. I dropped the mechanism and looked at the pull handle and noticed that the stops were not preventing the rod from overtraveling.

As I flipped the unit I saw fresh scrapes where the parts traveled where they shouldn't. I looked at the spring and realized that somehow the spring had slipped and no longer had enough tension behind it to keep it where the business end of the rod assembly whould strike the spring and cause the relase of the gear.

I tried to "reposition" the spring, but tool steel isn't very cooperative and my negotiations using needle nose piers wasn't working. In fact, it made the problem worse. So long story short, I need another brake maechanism. I assume that this could come from any F series truck during this time-frame or does it have to be from an F350?

Thanks!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brake pedal will the same F100 through F350. Not sure about F-Superduty as it had a driveshaft brake.

80 - 97 "probably" all dimensionally interchanges, I'd get one from the same generation as your for a sure fit. Get one from an F150 automatic that was not used as a work truck as they would have the least wear and rust on the mechanism.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 - 97 "probably" all dimensionally interchanges, I'd get one from the same generation as your for a sure fit. Get one from an F150 automatic that was not used as a work truck as they would have the least wear and rust on the mechanism.
FWIW, I've heard that the mechanism design changed for '92...so, I think that any '92-'97 truck will work, but not '80-'91.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were up against having to hunt-for/replace the pedal mechanism, I would forget the flimsy pedal mess and take one of those heavy lever-type mechanisms out of a bigger truck.

Those are much more positive and don't shake the whole truck when released.

Rigging and routing the cables is an act in simplicity.

I have done went and talked myself into looking up one for my rig.;Sweet

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size truck would you suggest? I really would like the simplist method to tell the truth. I am going to hit a few yards today @ Lunch. Thanks!!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size truck would you suggest? I really would like the simplist method to tell the truth. I am going to hit a few yards today @ Lunch. Thanks!!

You must take a long lunch.

Just about any 1-1/2-ton, or bigger, with hydraulic brakes will have the lever.

Another option is the console-cars/trucks that use the lever with the push-button release.

Either of these options are better than the stock set-up.

Admittedly though, the stock mechanism will be a direct bolt-in swap and not as much fun(or trouble, according to your outlook) to install.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw, not really there are 2 salvage yards w/in easy driving distance, in either direction, from my job. Plus being the boss helps some ;)

Right now I am all for the KISS method. I have to get this rig set up by Thanksgiving for our annual "Let Someone Else Cook and Clean-up" camping trip :D Actually we go camping every year @ this time meeting old family freinds @ a selected campground. We split the drive usually about 5 hours for each side.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called one place and they said they had one and would pull it and have it in the office for when I dropped by. I did and they didn't! So I waited... and brought out the wrong style :( I showed them the original and they said they had more trucks in the back then comfirmed it while I waited. I just have to pick it up after work.

$50.00. I don't know if it is a good deal but better than paying 164.00, anyway it will be fixed, hopefully!

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the brake assy home and in the truck. It seems the paas rear cable has now decided to freeze dispite the liberal soaking w/ PB Blaster and working back and forth. I was short 1.5" of cable when reattaching the brake cable. So I will need to pull the drum :(

My wife called me in @ 2145. Aint nothing like practicing roadside repairs in the driveway :D In my zeal of repairing the brake I somehow "opened" the toolbox lid while it was locked!?! The daggone locking mech. went flying into the box and the spring went bouncing by my head. After trying to beat it into place w/ a ballpeen hammer the wife suggested I might try it again while the sun was up pointing @ the neighbors' houses! :D OOPS!

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LA350, Just bite the bullet and change out your cables, otherwise your going to fight them forever!! I changed mine a couple months ago and since then they operate like brand new. I got mine from my local Advanced Auto. I was expecting some cheap junk like is common from that type of store. Completely shocked at the high quality of the cables!! If I remember correctly, I think they were only about 19 bucks each.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get the park-brakes working, :yell: USE THEM EVERY TIME YOU PARK.

Not being used is what kills park-brake cables.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keith,
That is what I am going to do. I have limited funds for the truck right now, but I have to get it right very soon!

Midnight, On my other truck it is such an engrained habit to step on the brake once parked, I do it and don't even realize that I had.

Thanks!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight, On my other truck it is such an engrained habit to step on the brake once parked, I do it and don't even realize that I had.

Thanks!

At the shop, we have a not-too-bright safety-freak that works part-time.

He had an embarassing vehicle roll-away, many years ago, and it scarred him for life.

When this guy has reason to move a customers vehicle in or out of the shop, without considering he is in someone else's vehicle, he will jam the park-brake pedal to the floor, probably for it's first time since the vehicle was new.

First, John Q. Customer will hop in his car and can't get it to move; he tries and tries, but no go; then, he comes back to the counter, asking what did they do to make him un-able to move his car.

Someone will go out and show him how to release the brake; then, he drives away, with both rear brakes dragging.

A few hours later, here he comes back; "you guys must have messed up my car. I smell something burning and the back wheels are smoking."

I often wonder how these idiots get a license.LOL