Our "OTHER" ford IDI

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm scrapping a mitsu diesel ranger with the plan to put my delica 4d56t in a ranger in the future, and I wonder about whether the front springs would be worth keeping. It's going to be a 4wd build. Anybody know if these are worth saving? I know the old 2.2 diesel springs were crucial. Not sure if there's a way to get the info here:
You must be registered for see images attach

I got trans of which I may just take the bellhouseing, mounts, oil pan and pickup, etc. etc.. Thinking of taking tanks or sending units at least.

Interesting thin is this twin tank ranger had an electric lift pump oem. grabbing that and wonder what it's capable of

perhaps the whole wiring harness will come with me. Any other specific bits I might want?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the perkins is heavier than the V6 option but I can tell you that our extended cab ranger did not budge when the 2.3mitsu diesel was dropped in place of the 2.9 EFI. The stock springs held up just fine, so whatever weight difference there was, it must not have been much.

The 2.3 is a bit of a jack of all trades generic engine. They used them in marine application, small box trucks, sporty front wheel drive cars, mini-buses and the list goes on. I is technically used in heavy industry, but is still light enough to get used in light duty passenger sedans.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know if it's possible for you to do, but in my opinion, the best thing for you to do would be to keep the one you're scrapping until you get the other one drivable. That way you still have all of the parts. I had a flat (wrecked) F250 in my yard for a couple of years until I was able to rob all of the parts that I needed off of it to put in my Bronco.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years later and back on the east coast, my mitsubishi diesel ranger build is getting started. Thinking motor mounts in here:

But these are 2wd mounts:

Perhaps engine comes from here or the rebuilt 55t from a ford I just acquired:

our extended cab ranger did not budge when the 2.3mitsu diesel was dropped in place of the 2.9
I expect the same when I drop one into the reg cab '86 4x4. But that mazda diesel on the other hand you did not drop down on gas springs.

in my yard
I had to cut my losses on a parts F250 and grabbed from the trailer what I could stuff in a truck box and strap on the trailer under the Delica. Only changed trailer 7000lbs trailer tires like five times.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting the mounts in yet?
oof.
I don't see how you could have gotten the two wheel drive mounts in the 4wd unmodified. The engine cross members of both the '87 4x4 and the '85 4x4 I have interfere with the motor mounting bracket from the 2wd diesel. Allthough less so on the '87. clearly there's different cross members. And the locator hole next the bolt holes are oriented opposite on the bracket-less side.

More cut and weld then.

Attachments

• IMG_5738.JPG
    IMG_5738.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5739.JPG
    IMG_5739.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5741.JPG
    IMG_5741.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 7

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell you the truth, it's been so long, I have a hard time remembering all the different mods needed to make the conversion happen. There might have been some modification now that I think about it. If I remember when I get off work tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a snap of the mount in the truck.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get a snap of the mount in the truck.
Thanks I'd appreciate that very much. In any case I'm modifying the mounts but I'd like them to be bolt out removable is all. For quick cut of losses. lol