One decent truck out of two.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Rebuilt one caliper last night. Its been too cold and I dont really feel like working on anything. Maybe tomorrow I will get around to doing the other one and finishing the brake job.

Ordered an Arduino Uno beginners kit and a relay board for it, I am going to try to make a simple glowplug controller.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Played around with my camera a little. This is a 9 exposure HDR (9 seperate under/over exposed images turned into one.
My first time doing HDR, not perfect. I dont think it turned out too bad but Im also slightly colorblind. lol
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! What are you switching the gp with? Are you using the standard relay for it or something else? If I remember right, A heavy duty Bosch style relay will handle a single plug if you were going to do a bank of relays. What are your plans for tying in feedback loops? It would be cool to read a water temp and air temp and have the controller calculate the glow time required or for that matter that no glow is required.

Very cool.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you program it? I've thought about getting one to play with but I'm programming impaired. I can run about anything using ladder logic but that's about as far as I've gotten so far.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Its just using an addon 30a relay. I was just planning on wiring it to the stock solenoid. Didn't plan any feedback, just push a button and it goes through the cycle shown in the video.
I'm still not sure I'm actually going to use it.

I think the programming is c/c++, or something like it. Don't know, I'm not a programmer. I just used one of their examples and modified it.

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Havent really done anything worth mentioning.
Started swapping dash harnesses from the black truck. Radio, kick panel lights, etc. Trying to decide if I should just swap the whole doors or try to put the power stuff into the red ones, Guess Ill have to look and see what ones are in better condition.
Once it gets warmer out Im going to bedline the interior, and swap bed and fenders from black truck.

Ended up turning the glowplugs on for too long and fried them, so swapped those yesterday. Im supposed to be getting a 7.3 style GPC and harness from someone on here so that doesnt happen again. Id like to keep my homemade harness, but Im not sure if the GPC would play nice with it. Never used the arduino and afraid of killing another 100$ set of plugs.
Where do people usually mount these with a turbo, and is there anything I should know about wiring it up? Looks pretty simple.
I think I am also going to try to find a coolant temp switch to put on the GPC circuit, kinda like the high idle is set up or the thermostat mod that has been shown here. I may just splice it into the cold advance circuit actually, assuming the controller doesnt pull too much juice.

Also found out why my WTS light was always on, 83 has a latching relay behind the dash that turns the light on. Not sure exactly how that works, havent found a diagram but would like my WTS light to work like its supposed to.

Had a heater hose blow and lost two gallons of coolant yesterday. That was fun.
Also think my oil cooler may be leaking, but I really need to clean all of the grease and crap off of the engine so I can see better, tried purple power and didnt do much. Just put Orings in that damn thing last year.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Found my coolant leak... :mad:
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be a head gasket. The 6.9 has a habit of leaking at the rear corners if the original head gasket is still there. Both of mine did, pass side dripping on starter. When you swap the front clip would be the time to do it.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Is that a cracked block?:eek::cry:
Head gasket.
Well, that's one hell of a way to do a cab swap. :D
Didn't think of it that way but yes, that's pretty much what is happening.

That could be a head gasket. The 6.9 has a habit of leaking at the rear corners if the original head gasket is still there. Both of mine did, pass side dripping on starter. When you swap the front clip would be the time to do it.

It is. Same thing that killed the 83 motor.

I was thinking I had to pull the engine... I can do it in frame?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has been done!
where theres a will, theres a way.
if you decide to do it with the engine in the truck, take the front tires off to lower it a bit..
will make your life easier.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Got to thinking, now I'm considering keeping this 85 engine in as long as I can so I can still drive the truck and throwing the 83 on a stand for a regasket/refresh.
I know the 83 is supposed to be weak around the heater, but my 85 is low serial "weak" block too and haven't had any problems.

The 83 is a lower mileage engine, I'm thinking it's in better shape. 85 was in a bus and has unknown miles.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk