OM616 on WMO... ?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Picked up a '75 240d on the cheap a couple weeks back. Slowly getting all the little bugs worked out and planning on putting it on a diet of wmo in the very near future...

So.. who has experience feeding these wmo? What are the DOs and DONTs with this one?

Will probably get a flat plate heat exchanger and bump the timing a little... probably either run 50/50 or bounce between straight w80 and straight d2...

Input?

Here it is...
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think I did bad... for $300 :)

-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't exactly drivable at the time... but after converting to manual glow plug control and building a new steering idler arm mount (old one rotted off the frame...).. it was good to go for the most part.

Still have a lot of odds and ends to sort out... and waiting on parts to get here from Germany.. but still in it for less then 500.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 80/20 WVO in a 240. I like the fact that its a smaller motor than my 617 so it heats up faster. No issues. I gave up on WMO so I can't say how it does with that, but I didn't find much operational difference between WMO and WVO.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... so far, so good.

I'm running about a 50/50 of W90 and D2 at the moment and it seems to like it. No excess hazing as of yet. I think I'm going to pick up a small fuel cell (5 gallon or so) with a single 3 port manual valve.. loop the return. That way I can run d2 in the small tank and do all my cold starts/shut downs on pump fuel.. then the main tank will be for waste oil.

The current mix is about 70% AW32 hyd. oil, 20% 15w40, and 10% RUG. Seems to be a good mix so far.

-Chris