Okay, what is it and how do I know if it is bad?

Reaction score
While doing a tune up on our 96 F250with a 5.8 351 I found some vacuum lines that were cracking. They led to this cylindrical electrical thingy next to the intake. Several years ago I replaced the vacuum lines leading to it. They have started cracking again so I pulled them and I started wondering if this thing even worked. And if it does what in the hell does it do? I looked at a vacuum schematic and from what I understand it is a Vapor Management Valve. I could be wrong but according to the diagram I looked at it has vacuum line leading to it from the intake to the carbon can and splits to the other side of the air plenum. The part number is worn too badly for me to make them out. Can anyone tell me if that is indeed what it is and what exactly it does. Also, how do I know if it is bad?

Oh and I thought I should mention. Because the old plastic vacuum lines become brittle and crack part this truck has vacuum issues quite often. It even throws codes for vacuum related issues. I try to stay on top of them by replacing the old plastic line whenever they go bad. I figured this part might have something to do with the vacuum issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that valve is a Vapor Management Valve. it basically lets fuel vapors from your fuel tanks into your engine instead of atmosphere. something for the tree huggers, if you know what i mean. and just cause it looks rough,doesnt mean it doesnt work

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure as hell know mine don't work because I get pressure in my gas tank everytime I open the cap, never did that up until about 3 months after I bought my truck... think ill go and get one from the scrap yard..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online