ok this anit a IH but a detroit sry didnt know where else to put it

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok its a 1985 ford f700 8.2 detroit and i want to know how hard it would be to adjust the valves and injectors? the truck is 500 bucks and do I need a cdl to drive it?? it is a massive truck and would it get really horrible gas mileage stupid question I know I really like that truck too...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If memory serves me ( don't count on it, I can't get any blamed service out of it anymore LOL it's 26,000 or over gross or 10,000 trailer commercial ( rvs don't count ) or air brakes and you need the CDL Aside from that and you're good to go.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ad is kind of unclear, does it need to roll out on a hook or is it capable of leaving under it's own power? Always concerns me when the say "all it needs is bla bla to make it run" . Engine could be a trot line sinker for all you know if you don't see it run.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
CDL requirements vary from state to state... in virginia you can drive whatever you want as long as it is for PERSONAL use

i dont buy the "all it needs" stuff either, $500 is CHEAP for a truck like that, buyer beware absolutely

you may be better off finding a detroit tech looking for side work if you are dying to buy it... or have already bought it.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well it would be for personal use and yes i want to hear it run but plain city is a long ass away but if that is all it needs its worth every penny

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I would pass....unless you really enjoy headaches and have $$$$ to throw away---{if so I'll pm you my address :D}

8.2 Detroits are prone to all kinds of head gasket issues, are not replaceable cyl liners, inj tubes prone to leaking coolant....basically a blue boat anchor :puke:

We used to refer to them as "8 point PUKERS" ;Really
Alot of them regardless of GM or Ford chassis, required the eng removal even for just the heads---cab interference....COULD be done with zip ties and clips on the head bolts and push rods, or section a piece of floor pan out from the pass side :frustrate

Besides the need for dial indicator type inj timing tool--specific to 8.2's, the racks are relatively straight foreward--IF you are familiar with Detroits...

$500 might get you some decent cores or cab chassis parts----if you can floor plan the money that long till they sell :dunno

Best of luck however you decide :cheers:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The CL posting has been deleted by its author. Unless its turboed, that 8.2 is gutless. The only thing I can say about mine is it runs like a clock, most would say I just happened to get a good one. I get about 10mpg empty and got about 6.5mpg with 4 ton in the bed and a 9' blade down and plowing snow. Not too shabby if you ask me. I'd look for an International with a DT466 for a Ford with a cummins. I always thought about buying a retired school bus and putting a truck cab and body on it as an upgrade. Just an idea.