ok same dam trouble!!! 7.3 powerstroke

smithandrew50

Reaction score
ok i changed the fuel -lift pump, replced the old hoses, and the same problem!! it acts like its running out of fuel at high rpms, then runs bad goes from 2800 rpm to 1000 rpm fast, still smells like raw fuel,then it stays there till i stop and just sit and idle for a few then i can go again , then does it all over???
im ready to sell this truch if i cant get it fixed!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

its a 97 powerstroke , 7.3 turbo diesel, F450 almost ready to change it to a 460!!!

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Have you had a gauge on it? What did that tell you? If the pressure is fine you need a scanner to figure it out faster instead of guessing. Might be time for and injector over haul.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with the HPOP, IPR valve, Injector O-rings???.

Either way it sounds like you are running out of high pressure oil at top end. Either sucking the resevoir dry because the lube pump can't keep up, a bad high pressure oil pump, bad injection pressure regulator or o rings that are failing at high pressure.

As for the raw fuel smell :dunno Are you smelling it from the exhaust or on the engine or :confused:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
ok refresh us on this, you changed the fuel pump, have you cleaned the FPR? have you changed the Fuel filter? What fuel? how many miles? how does the turbo look? how about the oil? IPR? any codes?????:confused:

smithandrew50

Reaction score
im kind of thinking its the fuel pressure reg? the raw fuel is comming in the cab,before ypu smelled it while driving

smithandrew50

Reaction score
i cleaned the fpr , turbo looks fine little dirty,the oil i will change in the morning ,it has 287000 miles, i pluged the code reader in , and nothing!!

smithandrew50

Reaction score
i think so there was some grime in the bottem i tried toget , the spring in the fpr was broke i fixed that by adding a 3/16 shim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online