Ok AMC/Rambler gurus I have a brake swap question.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1965 Rambler American 440 street sleeper project. It has the stock drums on the front which are old, shot and otherwise totally inadequate for the 350hp 351W I'm putting in there.

I would like to run 15" Dodge cop rims for this car with AMC center caps. However, the rims are too deep for the front end. The inside edge of the rims hit the trunnion/kingpin shaft.

I would like to put some sort of disc brakes on the front, but not have to dig through every junkyard in the county to find something that fits. I would like to know what I can swap on there without any/minimum machining.

What discs from what cars will swap on there? I can alter the stud length and flare the wheel wells a little bit so that's not a problem.

I need more stopping power than a dinky little 9" drum on each side. :puke:

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks GRuss, I'll check those out. I want to keep this thing as sort of a 'junkyard jewel' approach.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks GRuss, I'll check those out. I want to keep this thing as sort of a 'junkyard jewel' approach.
"junkyard jewel"....now that's funny. You know you're dealing with a car that is about the same age as most college student parents and wasn't in production in large number either. cookoocookoocookoo
Seriously tho, I watched the changes over the years with my Buick GS's going from "easy to find parts and cheap" to "forget it, I'm not paying that kind of price" parts.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who cares? I'm able enough mechanically not to let this issue stop me.

sassyrel

Reaction score
spenc--amc had disc brakes on the front of those on later years--- i have a set---cant tell you the year though

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the spindles and trunnions? I know the AMX had disc brakes as early as '68.

sassyrel

Reaction score
ive got the whole assm---thought about putting these on my trailer in place of the rambler drum brakes--but wont fit!!!!!!!!!!!and ive got the large rambler drums--that were on the front of the matador---

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM me with your email address. I'd like to see some pictures and we might be able to work out a deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin