Oil Temp Sensor location???

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi all,
Someone must know where can I pickup the oil temp for my gauge sensor?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Dan

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ideal spot is in the pan, but that's kind of hard to do with the engine in the truck. When I had mine out for rebuild, I welded a bung in the bottom of the pan for the temp sensor ( along with welding a AN 4 fitting for a return line for my bypass filter ) It's nice being able to just screw things right to the pan ;Sweet

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one on a pulling tractor by using a large T and mounting the sensor in one side and mounting the T in the supply line for the turbo charger. I think I used a 1/2" T and reduced the 2 ends down to the size of the oil supply line and then screwed the temp sensor into the side of the T. I had to use a large T to make room for the sensor.

It was something like this. OIL Supply-- T - Sender
________________________________OIL OUT

if that comes out right.

Similar to a glow plug fuel heater setup.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes, the pan bung is what I did with my tranny pan and sensor, that was easy. I suppose the engine oil pan won't come out without removing the engine, but I haven't had a look at it.
I guess the easier way is the "T" at the turbo oil supply line, I think that's how I'll do it.
Thanks to you both for the help.
Cheers!
Dan

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get a better reading, you might also try and remove one of the 1/8 pipe plugs along the lower, driver's side edge of the block near the oil cooler. I was fooling around there on my 6.9L not long ago hooking up a bypass filter and the hole looks plenty deep enough for a sensor. That would be a good spot to measure too... would give you the post cooler temp.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
similar question. where would the oil pressure sensor be?? i still need to hook that gauge up just have no clue where it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online