Oil spraying turbo

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on a '93 B700 school bus 190hp b-frame with a Hoyt? turbo. If the tube from the turbo to the after cooler is left unconnected(that mechanic should be chewed out) should the turbo spray oil out the tube at highway speeds?

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in reading your answer. Thats what I thought. This bus also puts out blue smoke most of the time. It's not my bus and I am not the one in charge of bus maintenance so I am trying to convince him there is a problem. BUt he bought it with this problem so convincing him there is one will be hard as he would have to admit he goofed when he bought it. it also has developed some running Issues. It some times will not rev up until it is shifted down forcing the engine to speed up, then it runs fine for awhile. I believe this happens after start up. Could the after cooler be loading up with oil then be blown clear by the forced engine acceleration. The shop (the one that left the tube off) thinks the injector pump is the problem. They have ordered a part they believe is sticking. Anybody have any ideas.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. I talked to th edriver of this bus and was told it uses 1 quart of oil in 5,000 miles. Could the seal be marginal and only leak with no back pressure? The apparent fix to the intermitent power problem was replacing a part on the engine side of the IP. This required the shop to cut a notch in part of the casting running alongside the pump. I checked my bus which is a '95 B series. Seems to be a 600 because of the GVW. It has the same engine-tranny set up. It already has had a notch cut to replace this part.