Oil pan removal

llebhsoj

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the oil pan on my 6.9 without pulling the engine? I have low oil pressure and I think the pickup tube may be damaged as the bottom of the pan has a pretty good dent in it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Unbolt your motor mounts, loosen the fan shroud from radiator, and jack up the engine with a hoist. If you still don't have enough room or the truck has a turbo then a few more things need to be done. If automatic then disconnect trans linkage, remove radiator support to frame bolts (2), and foward cab bolts(2). Then you can jack up the cab, shimming it as needed with 2x4 or 4x4 blocks until needed clearance is reached.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure you have low pressure, you're not just going by the stock pressure gauge I hope

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I swore I'd NEVER R&R an oil pan w/o pulling the engine ever again.

In addition to what is posted above, you need to fabricate a wrench to remove the oil pump bolts and allow it to fall into the pan. ( Remember the line, " Installation is the reverse of Removal"?--you have to get the oil pump out of the bottom of the pan, and bolt it to the block--think about how is going to work----I found that I needed an extra joiut in my forearm the pivots 90 degrees from the wrist joint!!)
I would also advise you to wear a bump cap of some sort. I can't tell you how many times I hit my head on various things as I manuvered around under the truck.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swore I'd NEVER R&R an oil pan w/o pulling the engine ever again.

In addition to what is posted above, you need to fabricate a wrench to remove the oil pump bolts and allow it to fall into the pan. ( Remember the line, " Installation is the reverse of Removal"?--you have to get the oil pump out of the bottom of the pan, and bolt it to the block--think about how is going to work----I found that I needed an extra joiut in my forearm the pivots 90 degrees from the wrist joint!!)
I would also advise you to wear a bump cap of some sort. I can't tell you how many times I hit my head on various things as I manuvered around under the truck.

Actually, unbolting the rad support and front cab bolts allow you to jack up the body then hoist the engine enough for the pan to fall out on it's own without unbolting the pump or pick up.
I bought a 91 4x4 xcab that had an engine that had been gone through in the last few years. The problem was no oil pressure due to a failed aftermarket oil pump. How I described for oil pan removal is from personal experience about 5 weeks ago. Oh, and that was done with an ATS 093 mounted to the engine.

llebhsoj

Reaction score
Thanks, in response first to the oil pressure gauge question, the stock gauge reading was low so I installed a mechanical gauge and there is very little pressure, runs fine but the pressure never gets above 20 lbs.
Devlish, you say you didn't have to remove your turbo? I have a turbo too and thought for sure that would need to come off. Great news.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online