Oil change?

lwillson

Reaction score
The only reason you would need to change it because the HPOP reservoir doesnt drain, it just circulates, so there is approximately 3 quarts in the heads and in the reservoir that does not come out during a drop the plug oil change.

There is a plug with a hex head on the top of the HPOP reservoir that if you use a vacuum pump you can suck the oil out of. It still leaves the oil in the heads, and the only way to sucessfully change that as well is to add new oil to the HPOP reservoir and run the truck for a bit, then suck the reservoir out again.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
ok thanks i can understand that. but it is refilled by the oil pump? and if it is 3 quarts then you would need 18 to change all oil? I guess the easy way would be suck it out the HPOP and then open the oil gallery plugs and suck it out too? then refill it all?

PS welcome to OB!;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dwight, just by 4 gallons and a Motorcraft FL 1995 filter :D

Just drain it after comming home with eng good and hot, and drop the filter---I use a drill bit after loosening up the filter to drain the filter and not have used diesel oil for deoderant :eek:LOL

I generally let mine sit and just drain for the time it takes to check the tranny fluid, front and rear diffs and t case, check battery terminals, tire press , look at the belt, lube the door hinges, adjust the rear brakes, etc.....

Then it's just prime the filter and install, tighten drain plug and add fresh oil--I end up using all 4 gallons and the next morning the level is just a hair under the full mark [that golden color makes for a difficult read!] ----....takes no more than an hour and that includes a cold beer or 2 and clean up :D

Draining the HPOP cookoo....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Cool!
That is what I've got!

Dwight, just by 4 gallons and a Motorcraft FL 1995 filter :D

Just drain it after comming home with eng good and hot, and drop the filter---I use a drill bit after loosening up the filter to drain the filter and not have used diesel oil for deoderant :eek:LOL

I generally let mine sit and just drain for the time it takes to check the tranny fluid, front and rear diffs and t case, check battery terminals, tire press , look at the belt, lube the door hinges, adjust the rear brakes, etc.....

Then it's just prime the filter and install, tighten drain plug and add fresh oil--I end up using all 4 gallons and the next morning the level is just a hair under the full mark [that golden color makes for a difficult read!] ----....takes no more than an hour and that includes a cold beer or 2 and clean up :D

Draining the HPOP cookoo....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The only reason you would need to change it because the HPOP reservoir doesnt drain, it just circulates, so there is approximately 3 quarts in the heads and in the reservoir that does not come out during a drop the plug oil change.

There is a plug with a hex head on the top of the HPOP reservoir that if you use a vacuum pump you can suck the oil out of. It still leaves the oil in the heads, and the only way to sucessfully change that as well is to add new oil to the HPOP reservoir and run the truck for a bit, then suck the reservoir out again.

Doing that will ensure a hard start, rough idle and about 3 days of driving to get the eng stable again----= changing the injectors....

I have 300k mi on my '96 and the oil stays a nice caramel for quite some time after a change ;Sweet

Drain the HPOP is a waste of time , effort and energy!

not attacking the new guy ;Sweet...just stating facts :D

lwillson

Reaction score
I didnt feel like I was getting attacked.

I have never changed the oil in the reservoir. I saw a video on youtube of a guy that recommended using a vacuum pump and removing the oil, and when he did, the oil was black and thick, and his reasoning was that the oil in the reservoir and the heads circulates around the head and the reservoir enough before actually making its way back into the sump. It seemed like a logical thought process. He then replaced the oil in the reservoir with new oil, started it and ran it for a bit, sucked it out, and replaced it again.

I had entertained doing this, because I was new to the powerstroke game and it seemed to make sense. I opened up the plug on top of the reservoir , and on my engine , it was the same color as the oil on the dipstick, so I figured I had enough circulation going on that it wasn't necessary.

I would be tempted to suck it out and replace it on a truck that I had just bought, in case the maintenance wasn't kept up like it should have been, or if you figure you had contaminated oil. I know I wouldn't suck it out and expect the engine to resupply the reservoir, that's just asking for badness

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Some will come here and get the wrong idea from our straight forward talk, we are a good bunch of guys that likes to do things right!
I saw the same videos and he talks about the oil being pumped up and then through the heads and then said it doesn't get moved around? i think the truck he did it on was like 15k on the oil change?:eek:

I didnt feel like I was getting attacked.

I have never changed the oil in the reservoir. I saw a video on youtube of a guy that recommended using a vacuum pump and removing the oil, and when he did, the oil was black and thick, and his reasoning was that the oil in the reservoir and the heads circulates around the head and the reservoir enough before actually making its way back into the sump. It seemed like a logical thought process. He then replaced the oil in the reservoir with new oil, started it and ran it for a bit, sucked it out, and replaced it again.

I had entertained doing this, because I was new to the powerstroke game and it seemed to make sense. I opened up the plug on top of the reservoir , and on my engine , it was the same color as the oil on the dipstick, so I figured I had enough circulation going on that it wasn't necessary.

I would be tempted to suck it out and replace it on a truck that I had just bought, in case the maintenance wasn't kept up like it should have been, or if you figure you had contaminated oil. I know I wouldn't suck it out and expect the engine to resupply the reservoir, that's just asking for badness

lwillson

Reaction score
I tried finding the video again, but I ran out of time. I do agree with everything else he had to say, and his description on the 6.0 and the 7.3 were very well done.

I believe it was http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/ where I saw the videos on the engines, but I cannot find the video on the reservoir oilchange on this site. I may have seen it on youtube.

lwillson

Reaction score
Yeah, multiple parts, very well explained.I was very impressed at the lengths he went into explaining stuff. It really opened my eyes to the failing points on the 6.0, and more so the fact that I am glad I bought a 7.3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.