OBS super cab guys...I need help

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my truck is a 91. 91 came with lap belts in the back seats. I got the slugs and a set of rear belts out of a later truck 94 I think. I expected to bolt the retractor in place of the lap belts then put slugs in for the shoulder point and floor point. Not so much.

Here are the retractors. Red is 91, grey is obs.

You must be registered for see images attach

There is no way they are going to mount to the same spot. The way the retractors are made, I don't think they can bolt to the cab without a serious change in shape of the sheet metal. I'd almost buy that they were supposed to bolt to the seat itself.

Can someone please educate me?? Ive been all over Google and I can't find a pic to show the area I'm looking for.

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a OBS cab tore down at the shop. will post mounting pics later.
in short. your'e wanting to do the impossible unless you are willing to weld in the proper reinforcement brackets.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Calvin. I had one of those aha moments a little bit ago where I said, hey, I've got a set of reg cab belts.

Yep, it's different too. I found a bad picture of a truck with the seat out but plastic installed. You could see generally where the retractor and so forth mount but no details so yes any pics you could spare I would appreciate. It may be what I need to figure out if this is worth it or not. I've got reinforcement plates to go in between the sheet metal of the cab. I bought a kit of them for putting shoulder belts in a 60's mustang. Redoing the retractor mount may be too much for this round.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh.... I just bought a regular cab belt to replace the rear in my Crew Cab. :frustrate

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular cab in the rear of a crewcab might work. Basically the rear of a crewcab is the same as a regular cabs back wall.

Mike - I have a 96 F150 sitting at the house if you need pics. Not super interested in cutting it up at this point though.

Also if you're not putting the correct year rear plastics back in check the top shoulder bolt hole location. I was thinking they were different heights in the newer trucks vs older. OBS vs brick vs bull.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shoulder mount point is not the problem. I have plates that go inside the panel to thread the mount into. I was going to use the 91 plastic and just drill it so the exact location doesn't matter so much. I have seen enough pictures to know about where to put it. Looking at the belts for the front, I think they would actually work. Clearly the front belts on the super cab are different from a regular cab. Although interestingly enough, the retractor for a mustang of the same vintage looks identical to my super cab belts. I'm surprised ford used so many different variants. Seems un-ford like.

Long story short is that this just may not happen this round. Little one is still in a 5 point car seat so while shoulder belt would be nice, I don't see it as an immediate need.

It's sad but my list of next winter projects is growing already.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the plastic off the retractor and pull the belt all the way out, if I remember right you can slid a bar out and remove the belt from the retractor fairly easy, just don't let the wound up part unwind. It's been a few year since I took one apart to disable that stupid half lock thing but I remember it looked very easy to pull the belt to swap or clean the belt if someone wanted to.

If you got a spare belt assembly take a look as this maybe your answer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. Might be able to put the longer belt in the lap belt winder. Might work.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the plastic off the retractor and pull the belt all the way out, if I remember right you can slid a bar out and remove the belt from the retractor fairly easy, just don't let the wound up part unwind. It's been a few year since I took one apart to disable that stupid half lock thing but I remember it looked very easy to pull the belt to swap or clean the belt if someone wanted to.

If you got a spare belt assembly take a look as this maybe your answer.
This is do able. had me stumped for a minute there. was going to say you are SOL but this should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel