not really bio......ATF fluid

farmerscotty

Reaction score
Ok, I hope it is ok to post here......I am working on running a mix of atf and regular diesel. filtering down to a 1 micron filter. anyone know of a link of site dealing with this........I hope to run like a 40-50% mix of atf. If it works like I hope it will.........farming can sure get back in the black on fuel costs.

if this is wrong place moderator just delete this.

thanks
Scott

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I am guessing you have a supply of used trans. fluid and hope to use it to one, get rid of it and two, reduce fuel costs. I am not sure, but would guess 40 to 50% to be excessive, but I am not expert here. I am not sure if the fine clutch particulate would ever be filtered out, and it would not be kind to the injector pump, injectors or cylinders in my opinion.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
You will get opinions from both directions but many people run a blend of a variety of waste oils. Motor oil, trans fluid, hydraulic fluid and report good results. Percentages vary but most proponents say running filtered, uncontaminated with water or antifreeze waste oil works fine in blends up to about 20%. Some have even run 100% but most don't reccomend that much. I would say filter to 1 micron, run up to about 20% and you will be fine. Reusing a waste product and saving on your fuel cost. Settling and adding magnets to your filtration process may help also. You can also search this forum for previous articles on running waste oils most commonly abbreviated as WMO.

Last edited:

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried your atf blending yet? i havent burned much atf but i can tell you that alot of injection systems react differently to wmo. one of the guys on here was running 100% in his psd. if i tried that in my motor it probably wouldnt run at all. anything over 25% in my engine and it sounds like its trying to eat itself. the best advice i can give you is dont top off the tank with atf/wmo. make sure you have room in the tank to add diesel to thin it out(kero works well to thin out wmo-but i havnot fully tested it to be comfortable with it)kero has less lubricity than diesel but i think the wmo may counter act that. also if you have the ability, it is better to mix your blend prior to putting it in the tank. some people say that driving it mixes the blend just fine but i have found that when running the most wmo i can, my idle quality and performance is better, if mixed before putting it in the tank. also dont get carried away when upping your ratio, up it slowly, in my rig the difference between 25% and 27% is considerable. since your using it for agriculture you dont have time for "down time" so i recommend finding the ratio that works best and then cutting down the ratio by about 5% this way you dont have to spend so much time making sure its just right.
however, if your rig is like some engines, then it a almost burn anything.
but i do recommend pulling your injectors after a couple of months of blending and have them tested. if their is conciderable wear on the injectors then your IP is probably getting worn also. either stop blending or refine your filtering process.
sorry so wordy-just trying to relay what ive learned.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh yeah- im not trying to argue with spg but settling of wmo usually doesnt work (my experience) i belive its because of the detergents added to the oil to keep particles suspended so that they can be filtered through the oil filter/trans filter. the detergent does a pretty good job of not letting water settle also. either boil the water out or use water seperators.-i use seperators with good results. i run my wmo through 3 25micron filters and then 3 5mic filters-then through a 1 mic filter with the oil heated to about 90 degrees. then i run it consistantly through 2 water seperator filters untill i dont get any water out of the bottom of the seperators. i have a 55 gallon drum that i converted into a filtering setup. i welded in a bung on the bottom for draining out water and then 6 inches up i welded in a threaded pipe that goes to the center of the barrel. on that pipe i have my 3 filter housings. (the filters have to be changed when switching between different mic filters- a better way would be to have another drum welded up the same way with the other filters on it-then a 3rd drum with a water seperator on it)
(just my experience-hope it helps) other than that-go for it!

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Settling was just a basic first step Much like the lower layer of your 55 gallon drum. It just lets the heavy stuff go to the bottom. Rather than plug up the filters. I agree with what you are doing to filter. we prefilter through a funnel with a brass screen. Then gravity filter through a 10 micron oil filter, 5 micron whole house filter and then through a 2 micron fuel filter/water seperator. Try to use WMO and ATF that are not contaminated with water so it is not an issue.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once water falls from suspension in wmo-it is usully an indicator that your oil is so saturated that it cant suspend anymore water(wmo seems to be able to suspend alot more water than none detergent oils, like veggy). one of the first batches i did had this happen- i spent almost a whole day draining water from my seperators. if i ever have a batch that has water settle to the bottom of it-i dont use it. i agree with the settling 100% on wvo(thats what i originally made my drum for) but i have found the best way to get out the big stuff is to prefilter with a cutoff bluejeans leg-sewn shut at the bottom. this gets out the chunks pretty good. but these are just my opinions based on my experiences, but we can all agree that the oil needs to be filtered to atleast 5mics and be water free. however you endup doing it please let us know. its amazing some of the things people do that make so much sense yet others never even think to try it.
spg-who makes your 2 mic water seperator?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Permacool makes the 2 Micron filter w/water seperator. Its is about $35 and the replacement filters are about $14. PM me if you are interested in one.

rockns

Reaction score
I've been running 100% used trans fluid filtered with a t.p oil by-pass filter that is sub-microic with out any trouble in my 7.3,in cold months i sart & shut down with diesel

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I've been running 100% used trans fluid filtered with a t.p oil by-pass filter that is sub-microic with out any trouble in my 7.3,in cold months i sart & shut down with diesel

are you the one from pirate? if not there is a guy over there doing the same. allot seem to slam it some but i dont think many have any solid info against it.

rockns

Reaction score
I've not had any troubles & had a International eng.say it was fine if filtered good

sassyrel

Reaction score
ok--i repeat--the gent that does my injection pumps--said the pump will stand 5 microns--and the injectors--10---on a idi----------------------------- so---that being said--if you ask a certain two individuals on this board--i believe i was the first to run 100% wmo---filtered to 5 microns---and never had a problem---but---when it gets around 50 degrees--it wont pull thru the mech pump very well---and you cant buzz down the road very fast----IF--you had a electric pump back by the tank--that might make big diff--i never had one on mine---also if heat the oil like wvo--youd be ok-----

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online