Noisy 4x4

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
The 4x4 system seems to work properly. However, with the manual hubs locked and the 4x4 dis-engaged the system sounds noisy. Any idea where this extra noise might be coming from? Thanks!

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the front drive line put the hubs in and see if the noise is there. While the drive line is out check the u joints, probably need replaced anyway if they have been there awhile. If no noise take hubs out put in 4x4 and see if noise returns. If it does it is the transfer case. If no noise either way drive line is the cause. Check all shafts for play, also jack up and rotate in 4x4 while listening for rough bearings.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Ujoints don't look like this do they?

You must be registered for see images attach

I got lucky it was only the two on the driveshaft that needed replaced, but ya got 3 others up in that TTB that could clunk around too.

Adrianspeeder

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
if its not a ujoint it might be the lockout hub its self.if not a hub then check the drive shaft from the transfercase to the front end to see if the ujoints are bad

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ever check your front diff fluid? i have actaully had ice in my front jeep dif banging around, guess i should take it a little more easy on the water crossings. :D its probubly not your problem but somthing else to check on top of the good suggestions above.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 system seems to work properly. However, with the manual hubs locked and the 4x4 dis-engaged the system sounds noisy. Any idea where this extra noise might be coming from? Thanks!

Can you describe the noise John? A squeek, whirr, whine, rumble? What? LOL

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the noise isn't there with the hubs unlocked but is there with the hubs locked, and you are positive all of the ujoints are good, check the spindle bearings, I just put u-joints in the front of mine, and found I had a bad spindle bearing as well. just not noisy yet.