Noisey oil line

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a problem with the stock oil pressure gauge. So i installed an aftermarket gauge. I ran it a couple of weeks but I'm scared of the plastic line breaking. So I got a metal line kit and installed that last night. It sure is noisey!

It's taking every rattle and injector firing and bring the noise right up to the gauge! It's like a constant buzzing now. I'm wondering if I should splice in a short piece of plastic line to use as a filter?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yup I made the same mistake a long time ago. I replaced it with plastic. I had the same thoughts about it breaking and getting sprayed with hot oil at 3 am on the interstate, but I put 275000 miles on that truck and never had a problem. Just make sure you have a loop in it on the engine side of the firewall. I used a loop about 2 inches in diameter This will give it room to flex as engine moves. Also use a grommet were it goes thru the firewall to keep it from getting cut.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running a copper line of my boost gauge...the other day, the line vibrated to the point it broke off at the intake hat.

Vinyl line might be better for the vibration damping.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The plastic line is fine.
Many here have been running them for a very long time.
Copper would be more susceptible to damage.
You could even rtv it in place where it passes through the firewall, and put the rest in some small rubber tubing.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a small piece of hose through the hole then put the copper line through the hose. im thinking of splicing a little piece of the plastic line in there to stop the noise?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can run the isolators sold my better race shops like Summit to stop the chance of hot fluid in the drivers compartment.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isolator or electric sender is the only way to do it safely. Copper is a bad choice for anything that vibrates - it work hardens and then cracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726