No such thing as a quality after market radiator for

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been running 7lb caps for years and have had zero issues with blowing up tank seams, rupturing tubes or cavitation. I done this cap swap to 15 trucks to date and no cooling system problems other than an occasional water pump. I am preparing for the composite alu core/plastic cap radiators and hoping they will help my cooling system a little more where it sits at the bottom of the stack. I figure if it works for '99 and up trucks, my application can't be that far off.
Just don't let it get to 233 degrees.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little late, but here is where it was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161623267891?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Can't really say much about the quality yet, as I haven't run it, but it sure looks nice. All the welds, from what I can tell, look completely professional. My box came in perfect condition with no signs of damage. Hope it works okay...

I also am having a hard time finding the trans cooler fittings. Every ad that I have found for these things lists a different connection for the trans cooler. It says mine should have 1/8" NPT fittings from the ebay ad, but they defintley are not, my tap for M14x1.5 seems to fit on there and they also look like flare fittings, so... it's a pain. Going to have to go shopping this weekend to try to find something to fit on there.

Looks like you got one of the last 4-rows out there!
And wow,looking at these listings the original one I linked (the real cheap one for $180) doesn't appear to be as near as good of quality as the Champion brand ones,even the petcock is made of plastic. I'm going to go for one of the Champion ones,they look alot better. Let us know how the search goes for those barb fittings, and yea I saw all the conflicting info out there. In this small town I live in Fastenal would be the only hope of having one of those barbed fittings,something to think about..

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd update this it might help someone out, seller super-radiator on eBay was really knowledgable he said this:

Yes, they do come with the transmission fittings that you will need, and the confusion is due to the fact that Champion has made it two different ways...one way has a male fitting on the radiator, which is metric, and the fittings are female...the other way has a female fitting on the radiator, and the fittings are male, and those are 1/8"NPT. Either way, the radiator comes with the appropriate fittings for your trans lines.

Thanks...and I hope that helps. FYI, Champion has stock of both, but all new production will be 1/8" NPT.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been running 7lb caps for years and have had zero issues with blowing up tank seams, rupturing tubes or cavitation. I done this cap swap to 15 trucks to date and no cooling system problems other than an occasional water pump. I am preparing for the composite alu core/plastic cap radiators and hoping they will help my cooling system a little more where it sits at the bottom of the stack. I figure if it works for '99 and up trucks, my application can't be that far off.

YES!! The radiator in my mercedes is plastic tanks with aluminum core, AND 30 YEARS OLD! It has been scrupulously maintained, and it is a 6 psi system. I've hit 220F on many occasions with no difficulties.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i gave up on plastic / alum. in the chebby in my sig after 3 in as many years failed went to all tin,,,golden
disclaimer, your results will vary.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought for the longest time,my second brass/copper ready rad brand,was leaking but ever since replacing my rad support it no longer has.im thinking my slow leak must of been my own fault by perhaps not getting the bottom hose clamp snug enough.....it's my only theory.otherwise,iv got nothing lol.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
i thought for the longest time,my second brass/copper ready rad brand,was leaking but ever since replacing my rad support it no longer has.im thinking my slow leak must of been my own fault by perhaps not getting the bottom hose clamp snug enough.....it's my only theory.otherwise,iv got nothing lol.

Perhaps its the type of clamp you're using. The screw band type have sharp edges and seem to cut into the hose easily. I'm changing all mine to the T clamps and the fuel line type clamp that dont have the sharp edges.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

May very well have been. When I had the cooling system apart on my 00 P71 to replace the intake and thermostat, I had a leak in the area of the bottom of the radiator/petcock/lower hose area. Gave each clam a little tweak in position and with the nutdriver, no more drip..... Everything but the radiator was new.....