no start when the engine's warm...

bubbahzanetti

Reaction score
Howdy guys
My 88 7.3 will start easily when the engine is cold, but after she warms up and sits for few minutes, she will crank and crank but no start. wd-40 spray in intake has no effect. Truck has a rebuilt injector pump (Diesel Care) and new delphi injectors I installed a few weeks ago, problem has been with me since. I have a clear glass fuel filter in the line right before the IP, no bubbles when running and plenty of fuel. Truck has an electric lift pump, new fuel lines and the high dollar swedish hose clamps. What else besides an air leak will make this happen? I'm stumped.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad injection pump is my only guess. I heard of alot people say they get a bad rebuild. Try the warm water trick on the ip. And if she starts that would be your problem.

7.3shrk

I have no personal experience with them, but a lot of people here say Diesel Care is a pain, and their work is bad, look in the Hall of Shame.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you say, new high dollar swedish hose clamps, I think I know the ones you're talking about, but are those the worm gear clamps with the rolled edges?
If so, those on your return lines will cause leaks. Do you have that kind or the fuel injection type that make a full circle and have a screw that clamps across the outside to a captured nut?

bubbahzanetti

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am afraid you're right on the bad pump. It failed the warm water test and cranked right up. i have removed it and have sent it back for replacement under warranty. I'll keep you posted as to how smooth the customer service was...right. I found the thread on Diesel Care about two days after I ordered the pump off eBay. -cuss
I have the full circle type of hose clamps like they sell at McMasters, so far no leaks. I'd be pissed, they were expensive. Most hose clamps available today are made of some kind of cheap metal that strips out the minute they are put to use. Old beer cans or some crap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle