no start hot & low base oil pressure

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought a 1996 CCLB SRW 4wd F350 XLT 7.3L 5-speed w/flatbed and pretty straight body on the cheap($2800) because it had a stall no start hot condition w/ 280K. Engine had a broken air box and was badly dusted when I bought it and I knew this when I bought it, but I thought what the hell it parts out for what I'm paying. This is what I've done so far and have improved but not solved the problem. Now will run until you shut jot off and will not start until it cools of for half hour or so. Oil pressure is low at HP reservoir (1-2 psi hot). Oil pressure is within normal spec when running. Reservoir stays full to about 3/4 from the top just loses pressure. Extended cranking hot will only produce about 2 psi.

-PO had new ICP and IPR installed at Ford dealer

-oil change 15w40
-injector o-rings but found none failed
-new LP oil pump pressure improved a couple psi
-2nd oil change SAE 50W to see if this would improve or resolve but only a couple psi increase. I suspected this high mile dusted engine might just be WORE OUT.
-found oil filter bypass valve missing and replaced it. Should have caught that before, but I wasn't looking. Now runs until you shut it off and I now have the hot no start condition.

I am suspecting now that possibly the drive seal on the HPOP is failed and has a major low pressure oil leak right at the high pressure pump. I've seen this once on a 6.0L with similar symptoms. Different systems I know but same theory. It also has a check engine light when under load and high RPM w/ reduced power. My cheapo code reader won't talk to it, but in the past when I've seen this behavior with a check engine light when a 7.3L has a weak/failing HPOP and it cannot maintain HP oil pressure under load.

What do you guys think? I don't want to through a HPOP at it without some other thought on this.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would for sure try to get someone with AE to take a look.
Can tell you everything.
Could try cool water on the hpop.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny you would say that. I bought Auto Enginuity yesterday. Should be up and running with it in a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online