No start After motor swap

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just finished putting the replacment engine in an 03 cummins and I can not get it started. I know all the bad about ether but if i spray just a little in it trys to start but won't how do I prime the fuel system. Thanks David

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
What kind of lift pump are you running?

On a stock truck, you just have to cycle the key a few times to get the fuel primed, there is no mechanical way that I know of right off hand. You could also crack an injector line, but I do not know if they recommend it on these CRs.

When changing my fuel filter, I cycle the key a few times, each time until the lift pump turns off, then put my foot into it just a little, and crank it. It will start, and sometimes die, but just do it again, and it should work.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck is all stock non-HO engine. I have cycled the key quite few times and still no start. What next? Thanks again

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
Is the lift pump working? It is mounted on the engine, or should be. Make sure all wires and everything is hooked up correctly(I'm sure you have, just as an extra check).

My truck is a 03 SO, just as an FYI.

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
I dont think so, I think only the newer models are. What kind of key are you using to try to start it?

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I bought the truck with the bad motor and they gave me just a plane copy which is all metal. Now I am wondering if my truck needs a special key to start.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I bought the truck with the bad motor and they gave me just a plane copy which is all metal. Now I am wondering if my truck needs a special key to start.

If I were you I'd give the local Dodge dealership parts department a call about the key first thing in the morning, they ought to be able to tell you the scoop on the key. Have your VIN number handy when you do. Sorry but I really can't help you more than that on the Cummins engines.

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
Have you checked anything with it today?

Even with a security chipped key, it should start, but it wont run long.

You may want to try bumping the engine just a little bit, just a split second(with the key-dont start it, just bump it). And, also try filling the canister with fuel also.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep got it started thanks for all the help. I turned out to be the stupid key. The key I had would crank it but it would never fire up. So I towed it to the dealer behind my FORD and had a key made. It started after only half a trun of the Motor. Thanks again for all your help.