No Smoke Ever

jthomass

Reaction score
I have noticed since installing a used 7.3 with approx 60K miles there is never any black smoke. I can be pulling about 6K lbs up an incline with the throttle floored and never any smoke.
Am I not getting enough fuel? Should my IP be adjusted?
Thanks

SKimballC

Reaction score
I'll tell you how I got some more smoke...

I washed my mirrors:rotflmao
No turbo? Unless you have a pyro I won't tell you to turn the pump up. Gotta be careful.
I don't know why some people want more smoke. I usually want less, except when I have people on cell phones in little imported cars under the back of my truck where I can't see 'em. :peelout

jthomass

Reaction score
I'm not looking for smoke just for the sake of smoke. I simply am wondering if I maybe short on fuel since I never see any smoke?? Or is no smoke a sign that it is adjusted properly??
Thanks

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mine makes very little smoke as well. If I have it really loaded, going really slow with the go pedal matted, it will spew a little, but not much. Mine runs too good to change it, so I think it is where it needs to be. I am sure I could add more as it never gets dangerously hot on the EGT, but it works as it.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black smoke is a sign of incomplete burning of fuel. As long as it is pulling fine and you dont have i pyro I would leave it alone.

jthomass

Reaction score
Thanks for that info guys: As far as pulling goes does the following scenario sound about right for an IDI or a little off??
Pulling around 5K pounds at 75mph and start up gradual inclines I stay in 5th gear with the pedal on the floor and am losing mph as I climb.. The inclines are not real extreme and the truck has 4.11 gear ratio.
Should I have the power to maintain 75mph in high gear on a slight hill?
Thanks again.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for that info guys: As far as pulling goes does the following scenario sound about right for an IDI or a little off??
Pulling around 5K pounds at 75mph and start up gradual inclines I stay in 5th gear with the pedal on the floor and am losing mph as I climb.. The inclines are not real extreme and the truck has 4.11 gear ratio.
Thanks again.

NO
I am NA, but only have a 4 speed, I can't do that in 4th. gear unless we are talking totally different grades, then again, if I hit the grade at 75 it would most likely be a downhill grade!!! Really, mine will start to slow on anything but a short grade where sheer momentum pushes me over it.

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

On an up hill!! I cant even do that on the flats. I usually tow in 4th.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will pull 70 with about 5K in tow, but it doesn't like it. EGT's climb quickly, even with the IC and a free-flowing exhaust.

Sounds like you might start by checking your timing, before you crank up the fuel...

Ryan

TomA

Reaction score
My theory on the 5 speeds, most particularly related to the transmission eating Cummins is as follows: Shift to 4th at the earliest possible moment and pour on the coal. Don't even try to pull a hill in 5th. 4th is direct drive straight through the transmission and can take all the power the engine can put to it. 5th is actually a fairly strong gear, I think the weakness is in the lower gears, but I would never pour on maximum coal in any gear but 4th.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing plays a big factor in getting smoke. Chances are, your retarded. Well, I mean your truck anyway. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Plus don't forget the new ULSD fuel is cleaner and I've noticed less smoke when standing on it.:rolleyes:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Timing plays a big factor in getting smoke. Chances are, your retarded. Well, I mean your truck anyway. LOL

Well, my truck is a Ford, so I know it is retarded!!! :) (he started it)

Bought a 1480 Lumy/mag II on Ebay. Hope to get it soon and I will let you know. If timing is retarded, I will hate to see how it rattles cold with any more advance, not to mention, it has no problem pulling a load now, just doesn't do it fast. My neighbor who pulls 6.9's took a look at mine and said timing was dead on, prolly trust his ear more than the meter, so we shall see.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Plus don't forget the new ULSD fuel is cleaner and I've noticed less smoke when standing on it.:rolleyes:

Same here, I used to get a about twice as much smoke when loaded and standing on the go peddle with both feet, now I just get a little. Have threatened to "adjust" my pump, just never have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online