No movement.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok so I was coming out of a field this morning using 4x4 low with a trailer behind me. Got a little mauled up and used a little more throttle. Half way thru the mud hole I lost all power to all wheels. The transfer case wouldnt move out of 4low and the low range light would flicker if I give it gas and it still wont move. but the 4x4 light stays constant. I can hear a rattling and clunking noise under the truck. After letting it sit I can move the shifter in and out of all gears without pressing down the clutch while its running and it makes a few noises. I recently upgrade to the SMF conversion with a extra heavy duty clutch so I dont believe I burned it out in any way. Is there any chance of the BW1356 came apart inside and causing it to lock into 4low? it is still on a field road and snow is moving in so I need to get it going soon. Should i just take my chances by just getting a replacement transfer case? I replaced my transfer case with a used one when i first got it cause of a severe grinding sound after decellerating it was making a harsh noise on the output shaft side to the rear.

Also. what years transfer case will work behind my 94 turbo idi.

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You can shift through all gears with out touching the clutch, and no grinding? that means the trans isn't getting any power. If it grinds a little when doing that, I would say you managed to kill the transfercase. As far as your question, any before 99 I think, the newer ones use a different bolt pattern, try to find a married NP205 off a 70's ford. Less chance of failure.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
how hard is it to swap the 205 in? i am out at a old boneyard and would probably have little trouble finding a transfer case out here actually. ill start looking. I would tow it to town, but that bill alone would be right around $200 usually from 20 miles out. When i put it into a gear without the clutch in the gear it makes a spinning sound and clunking

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
IIRC the 205 is a direct bolt in, just be warned, it's heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online