No charge :(

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batt light has been coming on dimly for the past couple of months now and would flicker too right after start up and be that way until I either turned off my cold start switch or if warm rev it up, well it was on the whole drive into work the other morning (21 miles @2:45am) and the volts were about 11ish almost in the red, I stopped halfway in to check the Alt and wiggled the wires and it worked until I reved it. When I got to work I fiddled with it and got the same result, today I checked all the wires and they all are tight and not broken visually, tightened the belt and did everything I could think of but I could not get it to charge for more than a few seconds at a time, I think I have a short but who knows. Alt is 1.5-2 years old, batts are about the same, Alt was brand new but the rear of the case was put on wrong, at the time the terminals were on the bottom so I had to remove the bots holding the case together to rotate it as much as I could to get the wires to go on which was 90* so the wires now face the thermosat housing and it worked then, has that come back to bite me or are there other things?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say your alternator is probably toast. Being 1.5-2 years old doesn't mean that much - I've seen them dead right out of the box...

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Cheaper you were right, the alt was toasted, no output at all on the tester. I did run into a problem though, I installed a reman alt and a new regulator, now everything works (it charges, volts are back up) but my battery light is still staying on! I know it is charging because my clamp on ammeter is showing current flow INTO the batts, volts are around 14 or so but that blasted light is still on. I know I cant remove the bulb because it is part of the charging circuit but elec tape is looking beter and better.

2manydsls

Reaction score
Was the alternator a direct replacement? I seem to remember one of the leads from the alternator controls the light. Course my memory aint what it used to be.
Ross