Newest (oldest?) IDI

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont mean to confuse, but I now have a stable mate to my 93 idi. 10 years it senior, an 1983 F250 std cab 6.9, 4spd, 4x4 One owner flat bed dually with snow plow. I have been looking around for another idi, and turns out a "friend" had this truck in the shed, bought new by his father in law. Wanted to get it out of his way, so for 1500 I have me a "new" toy. I havent even heard it run, but I have been promised it does.
I am working on pics, but it was built 12-82, so would that make it one of the first? Is it any better or worse the the later 6.9's?
He said they took delivery of it 12-31-82, before an auto was an option. I have the the complete owners packet in like new shape, even the suplement for the 6.9!;Sweet
Matthew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a nice early truck. That engine block is the early blocks that had a cracking issue around the block heater so... Don't use the block heater. The heads are also the early easy to crack heads. These are cautionary statements and not to be talking down your new rig. You may actually have the earliest ford idi in this forum. Mel has what we concider to be the first idi in the group. He ordered his and picked it up with plenty of fanfare. Its called... The Moose Truck... Very well known around the Us and Canada. Nice to see another rig saved from the crusher too...