Newer style IH hood

WD40

Reaction score
Hello Landmark, welcome to OB. Hope you find what your looking for here. Most of them are a real good gang to hang out with. To bad you met 95 Stroker first. He is a real good guy but just don't let him do any of your wiring. LOL... :rotflmao :rotflmao
Nice looking truck :thumbsup: you have there from what I can see from the little Picture of it. Are you going to be going full time with a fifth wheel soon?

Landmark

1989 DT466 Crew Cab
Reaction score
nevrenufhp, Turns out I did get the info on turning it up from your site. Now I have the opportunity to thank you, it sure made a nice improvement! The gov must have the high rpm spring already because I cruse at 65mph at 3,000 rpm now, will do 3100 if I really, really push.
What kind of money would I be spending if I took it to Hypermax or Sheids? I would like to get it to around 450 reliable hp. What kind of boost can it handle? Right now I am getting 18 psi max with my homebuilt propane setup. 16 psi without. No exhaust smoke ever unless I start it when it is really cold out so I am sure I could add some fuel!

Landmark

1989 DT466 Crew Cab
Reaction score
WD40,
Thanks, right now I use the truck for hauling my backhoe and D4 Cat around, soon I will use it as a second truck for my recycling business. It is great for hauling a crew around, I can take the kids along or, on a long trip I can take a nap in the back!

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Landmark said:
nevrenufhp, Turns out I did get the info on turning it up from your site. Now I have the opportunity to thank you, it sure made a nice improvement! The gov must have the high rpm spring already because I cruse at 65mph at 3,000 rpm now, will do 3100 if I really, really push.
What kind of money would I be spending if I took it to Hypermax or Sheids? I would like to get it to around 450 reliable hp. What kind of boost can it handle? Right now I am getting 18 psi max with my homebuilt propane setup. 16 psi without. No exhaust smoke ever unless I start it when it is really cold out so I am sure I could add some fuel!
To take it to Hypermax or Scheids, just show up with a blank check LOL . I'm not sure of the cost to get what you need, I'm afraid to call & find out. I'd say 40 pounds on a stock head gasket should be fine. 65mph at 3k? that's steeper than mine & I got 4.78's. I can do 73mph at 3050-3100(purely for experimental reasons, I dont drive that fast).

Last edited:

Landmark

1989 DT466 Crew Cab
Reaction score
Thanks again nevrenufhp, you've been a lot of help already. The next project is to get the gears changed. As you can see the truck is really screaming down the highway. I would like to be able to cruise at 65-70 at around 2600 rpm which seems to be this engines sweet spot. What is the best way to fix this, new transmission? I wouldn't mind something with more gears/overdrive and I don't mind a non syncro, just something that will bolt up fairly easy. Or would I be better off just doing a ring and pinion job? 90% of my miles are flat open highway and I want to get the best fuel economy possible. I usually weigh around 25-35,000lbs if that makes any diference. What's the best bang for the buck?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I have a complete 4.10 center section for a Spicer S150 housing. Every thing in it is in very good shape. Out of an International 2001 4700LP with 88,000 miles on it. I changed my truck to a 3.39

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
You probably can get a build sheet on your truck by calling an International dealer with the serial number. That would tell what housing it has.

Landmark

1989 DT466 Crew Cab
Reaction score
Thanks, I will call International to get the build sheet, that seems like a great place to start. What would you charge for your 4.10 setup?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Landmark said:

Where you're gonna really spend money is on your drivetrain if you turn it up toooooo much. LOL Most IH M/D transmissions are capable of holding only 660 ftlbs of torque before slippage or breakage occurs. The DT466 250HP "HT" (high torque) makes 660 ft bls. It was also available as a "tailored torque" design to keep the torque from ripping up drivelines on IH M/D's during shifts.

Have fun, but be careful of what's behind the DT. I just spent a boatload putting a 7 speed in mine.

What trans do you have?