cowfarmer16

Reaction score
I have a 04 250 auto trans with 27,840 miles on the truck . I have instaled a mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust and a sct programer set on agressive tow/haul . i have only towed with tow mode but the trans started slipping only when you get to third gear and above 2500 rpm but no other gear i heard alot about the 5r110 and you only need to do a trany mod if you stard putting down real power on the ground so i was woundering when you need to install a torque converter instead of a full built trany . also could give the the best place to get what i need to. i tow alot and heavy loads on the farm.
also why do the pillar guages void the warranty

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
welcome , cowfarmer I don't know about the fords but if I was you I would go ahead and get a pullers trans. from ats or suncoast and not worry anymore. I see you are in stanly co. nice area I know a few folks down that way. you must sell at the norwood sells barn. I live close to the siler city sale myself and work there part time. nice to see a fellow cattleman from NC on the site. have a good day and pray for some rain.

willie

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
Thanks , i looked at their web site today and i have talked to a coupul of guys that pull at the tractor pulls in our area and they said the same thing . just woundering do you have to do anything to the transfercase . yeah we mostly sell to monroe barn , and a cuople of times to norwood we have been to siler city a couple of times.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
look up BTS transmissions. They have a real good performance trans. As far as the transfer case, it will be ok.;Sweet

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
27k and its sliping?

you should be know where near the max capacity of this transmission, these buggers are STRONG, you do not and should not need any transmission modifcations with the mods and miledge on your vehicle

how much weight are you towing?

i would think you have an issue in the transmission control in your SCT piggyback computer before i would think you had a mechanical failure.

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
yea at 27000 miles its pulls strong till third gear and only till 2500 ,then when you really get on it till 3100 rpm and above it stops . it only dose it every now and then the tranny temp never goes to high . the way it feels is like someone is behind you pushing then stops and pushes again you can see the tack move only about 100 - 150 rpms . i am only 17 and need a dependable truck that wont break down going to shows or on the farm . the most i have pulled , i went acoss the scales in texas and the whole truck weighed 39,880 with feed, showsupplies, 4 people, 18 300 pound bales of hay, and 4 heifers thats the only time i have weighed it . the type of sct i have is the xcalibrator 2 sf model 9415 but the shop i bought it from went and added a few custom tunes and reworked the exhisting ones. also i dont think it makes a differance but thn truck has 3.54 geare front and rear i want to chanre them to 4.11 .

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
thats not what what we pull every weekend . we pull way less only about 20,000 - 25,000 pounds that show was the biggest and the most important of all . here in a few weeks we will be going to nc state fair and will probly be 25,000 pounds .

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the tune you have setup specifically for TOWING because i believe the standard tune recomends that you do not tow over a certain weight because it changes the line pressure for more of an unloaded performance type setup rather then a tow a good 10,000 lbs over the recomended tow rating of the truck

the torqueshift in factory trim with this truck would probably hold up fine with this kind of weight, it is an extreamly strong transmission, i am begining to think this intermitent failure may be due to the chip.

the transmission temperature gauge can be misleading, ive seen Transmission fluid temperatures in a scan tool pid hit 250+ degrees before and the gauge for the most part, looks like it is reading around normal temperature, or maybe just a little high.

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
when i tow i take it to the shop because the manual they gave me is not that good so have them put it back to stock , but i had to tow about 6,000 pounds in tow mode . I think that wouldent hurt the tranny would it ? the book said that was the limit so i guess it would be safe.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6,000 lbs is about the limit of a truck with a chip program on it that is not setup for line pressure and shift patterns exclusivly for towing thats rule of thumb most of the time.

so you towed that 20,000lbs+ with the chip on it or no?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok that makes sense. your weight ratings are above and beyond what the truck is meant to do, that could contribute. these are solid transmissions but like any line of transmissions do have their failures. the fact the truck is chiped unloaded, and then tows at the least 20,000lbs i think is contributing, but my not be the exact culprit for failure. your truck might still be within warrenty, id hit the dealer up see if they can help you, it could be something as simple as a solenoid failure, you do see that from time to time with these transmissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online