Newbie wants gauges

uScott

Reaction score
All welcome the newbie, I just bought myself a 98.5 Ram 3500 CTD! It's got 109,000 miles on the clock, so really it's just getting broke in...;burnout

I've read about the #53 block issue, and the VP44 issue. I haven't yet pulled a load or even run through a full tank of fuel so I'm not sure where I stand with the existing IP. My nacent plan is to put in a set of gauges for IP inlet pressure and (automatic) trans temp. If I'm putting in gauges, a 3-pod is as easy as a 2-pod, so what can I pick for the 3rd hole? I don't plan to make any performance mods, this truck is a hauler and must be reliable more than anything else, but I'm confused as to whether I should be watching EGTs or boost levels or ???

Whit

Reaction score
Welcome Scott.....yer just over the hill from me

Gauges are a good choice for your truck.....................If I were you I would get the "A" piller pod with 3 holes and do the fuel pressure , tranny temp and in the 3rd hole I would do a combo gauge of exhaust gas temp and boost........also if your stero has a tweeter in the a pod they make a 3 hole pod with tweeter hole .................this is exactly how my truck is set up

I have some gauge pics here of my A piller and also a dash pod that I mounted infront of the center seat

Attachments

• gage2.JPG
    gage2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6.JPG
    IMG_6.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 10

uScott

Reaction score
Gauges are a good choice for your truck.....................If I were you I would get the "A" piller pod with 3 holes and do the fuel pressure , tranny temp and in the 3rd hole I would do a combo gauge of exhaust gas temp and boost........also if your stero has a tweeter in the a pod they make a 3 hole pod with tweeter hole .................this is exactly how my truck is set up

Nice, I don't think I have a tweeter though. What would I be looking for by monitoring EGT and boost?

Also can you recommend an affordable line of gauges? Some places asking $200+ for a single fuel gauge kit seems a little out of line...but $1500 for an injector pump seems out of line too, maybe I'm just not used to owning a diesel yet! :Q Anyway I did locate a vendor asking $50 for a 30psi fuel gauge (electric incl. sender but not a complete kit) but no idea if they make a quality product.

Whit

Reaction score
Well you definatly need a fuel psi gauge, I would stay away from the electronic as the senders are crap......I would go with the mechanical and a isolator between so you dont have fuel in the cab

Tranny temp is a must with an auto, get a good "hot T" or go with a conductive sender to mount right on the hot (return line) but stay away from the cheep mount that senses from the dip stick (its lame to say the least)

boost/EGT combo gauge....monitor the boost mostly for performance and troubleshooting....manditory to monitor the EGT so ya dont melt nuttin down...EGT is a must for go fast parts

Check out these gauges and parts from Genos as they have everything you will need in there ...................also see if any vendors on site here can match them or do better

http://www.genosgarage.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online