New to the world of diesels.. 1987 F350

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up everybody, im new to the forum, and new diesels.. and trying to learn as fast as i can, haha

im into jeeping and bikes.. mainly jeeping, if you need a jeep part let me know i got lots of random stuff

My new to me 1987 F350 7.3 IDI, non-turbo,
You must be registered for see images attach

Its in great shape with no rust anywhere on the truck, the ZF5 trans, and the interior is nicer than my 2006 wrangler, haha

the motor however is a diff story, it runs great, has no lack of power, but has its share of oil/ fuel leaks that i will address one by one, thats easy stuff.. and it smokes like a chimney, and not black smoke, it smokes White, the PO said it has a new injection pump on it and gave me the old one with the truck, so thats hopefully good, how ever injectors are as factory still, maybe, and the guy replaced the pump himself, so maybe its slightly out of time? IDK what else would cause it to smoke white, but thats why im here.. to learn, haha

can't wait to get it running right so i can pull mine and my friends jeeps around once we break em, haha

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh yea, the fuel gauges dont work in either tank...
and the steering wheel wiggles around at the top (bad collum maybe)...
and the blinkers do not work (gonna check the blinker fluid and fuse today)...
and shes a little slow to start in the cold...gonna try and find new glow plugs somewhere, any recommendations?
and the break pedal is a little soft, (gonna pull the wheels and check breaks and fluid level)
and the front tires are cupped real bad, (gonna check play in steering and ball joints and front end stuff)

is there anything prone to failure or easy fixes or just plan stuff i should know about this old beast before i beat myself up over it? or is it mostly just the same as any other car and truck with wheels?

Ohhh yea, the motor is not oringal.. it came with the 6.9 that blew up and was swapped for the 7.3.. been told only 100k miles on the new 7.3 IDI, but you know how much i can trust that, haha

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The column could probably use a rebuild, or swap it for a better one.

On the glowplugs, get the berus.

Do some reading in the tech/FAQ section, hall of shame also.
Look up the many coolant additive threads on here.

Welcome to OB.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank ya...

and what do you know, i have a serpentine.. talking to my brother, i guess some time in the early 90's they switched from three belts to 1.. sooooo, im guessing my 7.3 is a early 90's model? gotta steam clean the block and figure out where the vin is located on it and see what i can find out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online