New sounds from the turbo

Glassdude

Reaction score
After installing the tuner and intake I notice that occasionally the turbo makes a strange sound after the tranny shifts to OD. It sounds like air brakes releasing. At first I didn't think it was anything to worry about and I didn't notice it before with the stock intake. Is this a normal sound, what causes it, and do i need to worry about it?

Mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wastegate prolly.............. :confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was suposed to dump in the 22-25 psi range. Maybe you have MAP sensor issues too?

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Glassdude said:
After installing the tuner and intake I notice that occasionally the turbo makes a strange sound after the tranny shifts to OD. It sounds like air brakes releasing. At first I didn't think it was anything to worry about and I didn't notice it before with the stock intake. Is this a normal sound, what causes it, and do i need to worry about it?

Mike

Turbo stall. Normal.

Tom

Glassdude

Reaction score
kwazyca said:
Turbo stall. Normal.

Tom
I thought turbo surge and turbo stall were bad things. It seems that it is bleeding of excess boost if that makes sense. The boost gauge drops to under 5 when it happens. Is air being forced back thru the turbo?

Ghostrider304

Reaction score
Yes it can be bad, but that depends on how you drive. Hard take offs make for boost that can not be used by the motor. When you let off the throttle the boost runs back out the same way it came in. This can be bad if the turbo stalls hard, it could at the worst brake the shaft.

A Wicked Wheel, or ported intake housing would fix the surge. I added the wicked wheel when I did my chip.

Hope this helps,
Will- :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle