New pump, timing advanced?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a duralift 40222 after my old mechinical one died, truck seems to run better with it but she's less clattery and some have said she might be a little advanced? If so will that hurt anything? She idles smoothly, no smoke unless giving it a lot of throttle and then it's black which is normal. I haven't gone up any hills so I can't comment on hill travel yet but highway speeds I don't really notice any excess black smoke....if she was advanced what's the damage?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less clattery = less advance. And in general with those pumps you will have more inlet pressure at idle, around 8psi. Then about 3-5psi cruising and it will go to 0-2psi at WOT depending on your setup.
Some don't care, but I switched back to a mechanical pump and moved my Facet to parallel prime-only duty. That way I always have a spare plumbed in if the mechanical dies and it's always priming the system when I go to start it.

If it was severely advanced you would hear it be a lot louder like a 1st gen powerstroke. Eventually it'll eat your glow plugs from what I hear. Fuel economy would drop. But that doesn't sound like your setup at all.
You'd have to be much more advanced than a small inlet pressure difference can affect to create any real problems.

flatwoods

Reaction score
Less clattery = less advance. And in general with those pumps you will have more inlet pressure at idle, around 8psi. Then about 3-5psi cruising and it will go to 0-2psi at WOT depending on your setup.
Some don't care, but I switched back to a mechanical pump and moved my Facet to parallel prime-only duty. That way I always have a spare plumbed in if the mechanical dies and it's always priming the system when I go to start it.

If it was severely advanced you would hear it be a lot louder like a 1st gen powerstroke. Eventually it'll eat your glow plugs from what I hear. Fuel economy would drop. But that doesn't sound like your setup at all.
You'd have to be much more advanced than a small inlet pressure difference can affect to create any real problems.
How did you plumb the facet pump in parallel (for priming) to the mechanical pump. I have been thinking about doing the same thing and I'm wondering how you did it and how it has worked for you.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you plumb the facet pump in parallel (for priming) to the mechanical pump. I have been thinking about doing the same thing and I'm wondering how you did it and how it has worked for you.
I plumbed it in like @Selahdoor did, he explains it in this thread:

Just study the first picture, it's that simple. Two separate pumps on separate circuits, joined before the pumps and after the pumps with a check valve after the pump on each circuit. This keeps one pump from pushing fuel through the other, were that pump to fail. The E pump should have 2 check valves already so maybe you don't need one on that circuit but it depends on how the pump is made. Primarily it's to keep the epump from pushing fuel into the crankcase If the diaphragm on the lift pump ruptures.

I like the setup very much and have no issues with it. I always have a backup fuel pump if I need it, and have an E pump for when I need a little diesel for some reason, since I don't keep any in cans at the house.
And since the Facet pumps have been proven to be too weak to provide consistent volume for even lightly modified fueling, my lift pump does the heavy lifting with the e pump just for priming, also helps with filter changes.

Happy wrenching!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online