New member needing help diagnosing transmission problems

WyoF350turbo

Reaction score
Hi all
I don't quite know where to post this as I am a new member but I have a question and am having a hard time finding help on the net so I figured I would ask you. I own a 1993 F350 crew cab 7.3L IDI with factory turbo 4x4 it has 189000 miles and a ZF5 transmission. My question is today the transmission acted up while coming to a stop everything locked up and stalled out the truck. I got it restarted and got it to move forward but it was at high R's with not a lot of speed and a lot of clutch burning smell and I had to tow the truck home. It acts like it is stuck in a high gear as when the truck is running if I try and release the clutch pedal the truck stalls out and dies, the only way I can eliminate this is if I rev it extremely high and dump the clutch but then it goes no where and you get a lot of burning clutch smell. If I move the transfer case to neutral the truck rolls around just fine but even with the transfer case in neutral when clutch is released the truck stall. Anyone have any ideas
Thanks Ralph

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check transfer case first. Sounds like it ran out of oil and locked up. Also check Trans oil too.

WyoF350turbo

Reaction score
Transfer case is full of oil, what would lock up in there is the transfer case chain or gear driven on these this is my first ZF5 and first hydraulic clutch still learning on it, all my other standards have been NP435 and Np205 transfer cases

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I'd probably drop the transfercase at this point and see if the transmission is freed up. As in can you run the truck without the transfercase installed. While I had the transfecase out I'd run it through the gears turning the input shaft. The transfercase has a small pump in it that can fail. And even with the case full of fluid it can lock up form fluid starvation.

With the truck off and the clutch pushed in does the transmission shift through the gears like normal?

I lost a 5 speed in an explorer once from low fluid. It would sit and idle fine, but had no gears. Sheared the main shaft. I've not heard of ZF5's (5-seed) locking up like this before.

Good Luck!

WyoF350turbo

Reaction score
Thanks I guess I'll be pulling off the transfer case. It does seem to go thru the gears fine without the motor running and clutch pushed in it feels like it goes thru, reverse is a little hard to tell cause it goes in but i always don't think its quite far enough