new here 91 f 350

Will

Reaction score
hi all i got this truck a little while back 91 f 350 7.3 it was going fine then the ip went out on way to work so got it started took a while to get it running got to work was late came out to go home she would not start at all was full of air so towed to a shop in town fixed the pump still will not start they cant fine the air leak so after 3 weeks they tell me there going to put a elec. pump on the frame a week later its running again i wish i would have found this site befor i put out the cash but being new to diesel's still needs some work like speedo dont work at all got to fix that have u all had this happen o ya the guy at the shop is telling me that i dont have to take the pick up pump off the truck is this true?? well any ways my name is will i am in louisville ky if any of you can help me out with some tips about my truck or good mods let me know thanks

Will

Reaction score
thanks for the info so take the pump off they told me that the elec pump they put on would not power the truck under a load by its self the one they put on was a mr. gasket pump ya now my front tank sucks up air at 1/4 tank not sure what is up with that never did that befor so iam useing the back tank till i can take the tank off if you have time maybe we could meet up while your in town u can check the truck out give me some tips

Will

Reaction score
will that pump work well when iam pulling a load or will it cut out?? lol thats cool bro i got ya

sassyrel

Reaction score
hi all i got this truck a little while back 91 f 350 7.3 it was going fine then the ip went out on way to work so got it started took a while to get it running got to work was late came out to go home she would not start at all was full of air so towed to a shop in town fixed the pump still will not start they cant fine the air leak so after 3 weeks they tell me there going to put a elec. pump on the frame a week later its running again i wish i would have found this site befor i put out the cash but being new to diesel's still needs some work like speedo dont work at all got to fix that have u all had this happen o ya the guy at the shop is telling me that i dont have to take the pick up pump off the truck is this true?? well any ways my name is will i am in louisville ky if any of you can help me out with some tips about my truck or good mods let me know thanks

will,, few more of these in your sentences,,so we can split your thoughts........................................................................................................................................................................

Will

Reaction score
sorry bud was just typeing away................ lol ok so what is a good pump that take a load so i can change it??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please read the Hall of shame forum so you know who NOT to buy from on the internet. Try as we do some still end up buying that crap and come here upset about getting the low bic stuff. I'm thinking you really don't need the electric pump and surely never use one with the mechanicl installed on the block. If you want to run an electric get the pump most of us here use from a members called genlightening. He offrs the best deal on the best pump. About your tank sucking air at 1/4 tank... Thats the norm and it happens because the suction head has broken off the suction tube in the tanks. A short piece of fuel hose and one clamp will fix that. Sad to tell you the rear tank is the tuff one to fix. Dropping that tank or lifting off the bed is the only way of doing that. The fuel lines will need to be cut loose from the frame cross rails so you can let the tank down low enough to reach the connections. With about 1/4 tank of fuel it wil be a balance issue too. The front tank is simple. Just remove the lines and electrical. Knock loose the sender retainer thingy and lift out the sender.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I'm new here too, great bunch of guys here that are willing to help out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I one one of the guys that used the Holley Red for years and well over 150,000 miles.. Till it crapped ouit on me... Driove me crazy finding why I would run out of fuel on a full tank too. That pump motor was so worn it was like someone had gouged a 1/4 inch round in it. The next holley only lasted a year. They moved the compant to mexico and who gives a crap about quality down there. So I went with the carrier diesel pumps you find on all those refer units semi trailers. Thos suck fuel from under the trailers all the way up to the top of the trailers. Thats about a 30 ft draw and up about 12 ft... Thats sucken it....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
thanks guys will look in to it.

You wont be sorry. I was the first guinea pig who did teh research and tried those pumps out. When I went into the Carrier transicold dealer to buy the first one of those things , it was hilarious, Those things are factory equipment on the ****** units, and the partss guy had a case of replacements . He found them on the computer and he went up and was lost in the parts room for over a half hour. He finally came back with one, apologizing up and down for taking so long, but he had no idea where the things were.... because they had NEVER had one fail! not bad considering that dealer is at the crossroads of I 30 and I40 right where almost ALL of teh chicken trucks in the country load out of and most of teh produce trucks heading east run through there, and a large number of the countries truck companies are based out of. Not long after Thermoking also switched to that pump as its factory pump as well

Right now it sounds as if the mechanic installed one of those little black Mr gasket cube pumps on the thing ... which are not even diesel rated, the seals inside will rot out rather soon if you do not replace it. You need a good pump on there and remove teh factory mechanical one ( get a big block cheby fuel pump pluck off plate at the parts store, most sell them for a few bucks, chrome and all)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel