New guy here needing help with 7.3 turbo F450

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mud in the filter.may want to consider running a biocide through the fuel system.if the trucks been sitting for a while it may have algae in the fuel tanks.and IIRC algae looks like a brownish rusty lookin goop.

check the check valve on the brake booster and check the booster itself for a leak.stick your head under the dash with it running and push on the brake pedal.see if it makes a hissing noise.

replace the throttle cable not the spring.i had a 94 450 turbo.i replaced the cable and it felt like i was driving a new truck!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well this evening was spent out in the barn working on the ol' girl. New idler pulley, serpentine belt, fuel filter, front shocks (the rubber bushings were completely gone on the old ones), air filter, oil and oil filter all replaced. I believe the fuel filter was the culprit on the fuel problem. It was so full of junk it looked about like it had mud in it when I pulled it off. I checked the fuel pressure and it was fine so lift pump is working as it should. After giving her a tune up I took it for a drive for about 20 min just to make sure everything was working ok. I think I may have a vaccuum leak somewhere because I start loosing pressure at the brake pedal when sitting at a stop for awhile. Also felt like steering wheel had a lot of play so when I got back I had a friend shake the wheel back and forth. HOLY COW!!! I was surprised the an outer tie rod end didnt break loose while driving! :eek: Gonna work on putting some new tie rod ends on it this weekend. Also going to install a lighter gas pedal return spring. If I have the time a trans fluid change and rear diff fluid change seem like a good idea. Maybe take it to have a radiator flush also.:dunno

The F-Superduty has Hydraulic assist brakes. aka hydroboost. anyway no vacuum is used. You mean as you are pushing the pedal you are loosing pressure? that probably is the MC gone bad, leaking pressure. Try breaking with the truck off to see if it is still sinking. pump it a few times to bleed off the stored pressure

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yes and only the F-SUPERDUTY (5/4 ton) got it. All lesser trucks got vacuum. Its a helluva difference in the stopping force. like 2000 vs 1000 psi of braking pressure.

Why did ford do it this way? the same reason they had 5 digit odo, or 18 gauge wire feeding the glow plugs, or using fuel fill hose that is more restrictive than a drinking straw.

94f450

Reaction score
Well guys its been awhile and I had to focus my attention else where... I got back in the barn and started going to town on the truck. The truck was holding gears a very long time... like you had to get out of the throttle for it to shift. I have a buddy with 2 idi trucks so we set the TPS, and installed a "working" tach sensor he had laying around. New return lines on, valve covers were pulled and painted (waiting to go back on) and I have messaged typ4 about a turbo issue I may have? I have new tie rod ends that will be installed after the weekend and then for the test drive to see if the truck is running any better. For those that have had Russ rebuild the factory turbo with a 60-1 wheel, was there a large difference in boost pressure at low rpm? This truck will be towing on a regular basis around city speeds and I would like for it to have enough power to get to speed decently quick!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and only the F-SUPERDUTY (5/4 ton) got it. All lesser trucks got vacuum. Its a helluva difference in the stopping force. like 2000 vs 1000 psi of braking pressure.

Why did ford do it this way? the same reason they had 5 digit odo, or 18 gauge wire feeding the glow plugs, or using fuel fill hose that is more restrictive than a drinking straw.

I can lock up my 4 wheels easy with my vacuum brakes. I don't know why everyone on here bashes them??

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can lock up my 4 wheels easy with my vacuum brakes. I don't know why everyone on here bashes them??

Ive had both setups in all three makes of trucks, and I never noticed much difference either:dunno

If a truck came with vacuum assist, I wouldnt bother converting it...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ive had both setups in all three makes of trucks, and I never noticed much difference either:dunno

If a truck came with vacuum assist, I wouldnt bother converting it...

I can tell you there is a difference. My vacuum booster was on its way out so thats why I converted.

If a truck came natural, would you bother to put a turbo on it?

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you there is a difference. My vacuum booster was on its way out so thats why I converted.

If a truck came natural, would you bother to put a turbo on it?

Like I said, Ive had all three makes with both setups. With proper vacuum and a good booster, I never noticed much of a difference between the 2. In fact my current cummins with vacuum brakes and drum rear stops better than my 02 with hydro boost and rear disc IMHO.

94f450

Reaction score
Turbo is going off for a Typ4 rebuild this week!!!:D Gonna get the tie rod ends replaced and start on the mockup for the 4 inch exhaust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online