New guy here needing help with 7.3 turbo F450

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
onlythings that are the same as a 250/350 and 150 is cab,sheetmetal,interior and motor

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
I just finished gutting a factory turbo F450:D
the sheetmetal from f150 to f450 interchanges except for the radiator support. that is diesel specific.
your rear end gears on your truck is 5.13 there are a rare few who gotten 4.63's but they are not common.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Idk how much is too much but I gave $2400 for the truck. 185,000 miles, 2wd standard cab with a walk in "tool box" and a working dump bed. My goal is to only have around 5k in a clean, reliable, dump truck. The truck will be a company truck so it DOES NEED to be very presentable which is the reason for new metal and paint. I also need it to fire up and run everyday, and for some reason it breaks, I can easily work on it and repair it for pretty cheap. It needs to have enough power to pull a tractor while having a bed full of rock/mulch/dirt. I have a plow that I will be mounting to it for snow season. Which brings up another question. Are the front of the frames the same as a F250/350? I have a mount for a 250/350 and wondering if it will bolt right up?

You didnt do to bad for that price.

For the plow. You need a frame like you said off of a 92-97 F250/F350/F-superduty. A 9' plow works really good on those trucks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW nice try at stealing my name :backoff :rotflmao .are you sure you want people to confuse you with me? :eek::angel: ;Sweet

94f450

Reaction score
BTW nice try at stealing my name :backoff :rotflmao .are you sure you want people to confuse you with me? :eek::angel: ;Sweet

I just figured I would make a name after the truck I had. I guess people will have to pay attention to the details of the names.:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just figured I would make a name after the truck I had. I guess people will have to pay attention to the details of the names.:D

and if youre lookin for an email address f450sprdty is already taken by me on aol and yahoo.:moon::flipa: :rotflmao:rotflmao ;Sweet

94f450

Reaction score
and if youre lookin for an email address f450sprdty is already taken by me on aol and yahoo.:moon::flipa: :rotflmao:rotflmao ;Sweet

Haha I will not try to steal the email address too lol. Ok another noob question, who makes a good pyrometer for the money? That's at the top of the list right now. Also would a boost gauge be worthwhile?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
who makes a good pyrometer for the money? That's at the top of the list right now. Also would a boost gauge be worthwhile?

top end stuff= isspro and autometer. there sare some other good budget gauges that people have used. i hear that you get what you pay for when it comes to gauges tho.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run hewitt industries gauges.got em for a good price on ebay.supposedly they make the banks gauges.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
... there are a rare few who gotten 4.63's but they are not common.

Yep, and it's sitting out by the barn.
On the boost gauge, yes and after getting a pyro and a down pipe turn up your boost, BUT remember to take the end off and run a tap through it before trying to tightening it.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Stewart Warner makes good gauges. Alot of the big trucks use them as well as heavy equipment, boats etc. Napa carries them

94f450

Reaction score
Well after driving the truck about 10 miles today i found that my idler pulley is locked up... then the truck started to act like it wasnt getting any fuel and started running at about 17mph with the pedal to the floor to get back to the garage. Tomorrow I am going to be giving this thing a serious tune up that is desperately needed. Fuel filter, oil, oil filter, and an air filter are on the list. Anybody else have some suggestions? Could a bad lift pump cause this problem?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after driving the truck about 10 miles today i found that my idler pulley is locked up... then the truck started to act like it wasnt getting any fuel and started running at about 17mph with the pedal to the floor to get back to the garage. Tomorrow I am going to be giving this thing a serious tune up that is desperately needed. Fuel filter, oil, oil filter, and an air filter are on the list. Anybody else have some suggestions? Could a bad lift pump cause this problem?

I'd test the lift pump. Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine with FSS wire unplugged from the IP. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

Also, a broken fuel pickup on the sending units can starve the engine. Typically you see this at about 1/4 of a tank. Fill the tank above that level and the syptoms go away.

I could be your IP has finally given up the ghost as well.

Heath

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Also the fuel selector valve can fail causing you to draw from the empty tank you just switched from

94f450

Reaction score
Well this evening was spent out in the barn working on the ol' girl. New idler pulley, serpentine belt, fuel filter, front shocks (the rubber bushings were completely gone on the old ones), air filter, oil and oil filter all replaced. I believe the fuel filter was the culprit on the fuel problem. It was so full of junk it looked about like it had mud in it when I pulled it off. I checked the fuel pressure and it was fine so lift pump is working as it should. After giving her a tune up I took it for a drive for about 20 min just to make sure everything was working ok. I think I may have a vaccuum leak somewhere because I start loosing pressure at the brake pedal when sitting at a stop for awhile. Also felt like steering wheel had a lot of play so when I got back I had a friend shake the wheel back and forth. HOLY COW!!! I was surprised the an outer tie rod end didnt break loose while driving! :eek: Gonna work on putting some new tie rod ends on it this weekend. Also going to install a lighter gas pedal return spring. If I have the time a trans fluid change and rear diff fluid change seem like a good idea. Maybe take it to have a radiator flush also.:dunno