needing help

4running_fun

Reaction score
is there anyone who lives close to sherman county oregon who can lend a hand im at a loss on my truck. i have an electrical problem from hell and cant figure out for the life of me

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Give us a description and maybe someone has either been there or can help you out. There are some electrical gurus on here so just give it a shot

4running_fun

Reaction score
all the gauges are in a freak the spedo does its own thing, the tach does not work past 1500 or so, the rest of them very depending on the electrical load, ie headlights stero power windows electric fans and so on. i almost forgot brake lights and windsheild wipers are a no go

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Check your ground wires, there should be a good ground wire connecting every major piece of the truck. Battery to engine, to the frame, to the cab and so on. They are known to be cut, pulled or rot out over the years on the older trucks. I am betting the cab has lost its ground and its causing all sorts of wackyness with the gages.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I'll bet your right Jred. Sounds like what one of my old toyotas was doin, turned out to be a frame ground

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 86 Ford, it was the voltage regulator causing the problem. Easy to check with a volt meter. Also check your grounds, and check for power where power should not be which is caused by a short to ground. You could have power shorting to power which will cause crazy voltage spikes.