Need T18/19 experts swapping output shafts

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I've determined that no amount of adapters or spacers will make the Doug Nash box fit behind my T18 with the long shaft. I'm wondering if swapping output shafts is cost effective and practical. Can someone give me an education on this, and is there any way to know without pulling it apart? I sure aprreciate it,
JD

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jd, you would probably be better off to find a good 18/19 with the 4.5" housing and use it. Yes I have swapped out shafts, and it wasnt all that hard but It would have been alot nicer to just put a good used unit in there. Check your local salvage yards, an old tranny like that cant be too expensive.:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for now I'm just going to run it with the T18 without the Doug Nash. I know where a good used T18 with the short shaft is, it would be cheap but shipping it here might not be. I am fresh out of money and time and I need my truck, so this is going to have to get me by for the next few months. Thanks Brad.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Man that sucks. Are you to a point where you might come out ahead if you just set the 18 aside and just went back to plan A and tried to find a decent 19 and sell the 18 and be done with it before you rip your hair out over the thing?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm already committed Robert. I'll probably get a short shaft t18 if I like the gear spacing with the diesel, if not I'll need to build or get a t19.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin