Need Opinions on Purchase & 1st post

rdrancher

Reaction score
Howdy all.

First of all, thanks to everyone for all of great reading. (I've been lurking and learning for the last couple of days.)

Here's my situation...

I have a '99 4-dr F350 Super Duty Diesel (SRW) right now that I still owe $4K on. The truck is dead stock. With two kids driving their own cars and only one more to go, I really don't need a 4-dr and don't want the payment. We also have my wife's Explorer for trips and such.

Here's what I'm thinking...

I've had my friend's father's Dually here on my property for the last two years, but have only used is twice. His father passed away last summer and they have no use for the truck.

Since we live on a small ranch and I do tractor work and construction, I keep looking at the '91 thinking that I would really appreciate the versatility of the flatbed. I'm pondering purchasing the '91 and selling the SD. BTW - I've had both duallies and standard cab trucks aplenty in the past.

The Truck...

1991 F350 Standard Cab Dually 4x4 w/ locking hubs

60K original miles.

7.3 Diesel maintained to the letter by the local dealer.

5 spd manual.

Straight body (oxidized red paint) & steel flatbed.

Dual fuel tanks, full to the top.

GN hitch under flip-up door.

Removable bale spear with 10K Ramsey winch.

A/C works good.

Interior's pretty nice, just dirty from sitting.

My Concerns...

Transmission pops out of reverse unless the shifter is held.I understand that this is an internal rail type linkage.

Needs batteries, but I have jumped it and driven it in the past.

Power windows don't budge (they're stuck about 1/4" from the top) (Power door locks work fine.)

Wipers come on by themselves. I'm thinking that this has something to do with the batteries as I've had this happen with my SD.

My Intentions...

We pull a GN 4-horse trailer.

I will purchase a GN flatbed trailer to replace my present car trailer for transporting my tractor and implements.

Remove the bale spear (I have one for the tractor) and mount the winch on a grill guard winch mount.

After the normal change of hoses and belts, mount a turbo.

I'll post up a photo soon.

I'm open to comments and suggestions from everyone!

Thanks

rd

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Although I am not a fan of duallies, that sounds like a heck of a plan....are you just aquiring the pickup or buying it? 60,000 miles is bearly broke in....

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Mine does the same with reverse sometimes. typical ZF-5 speed problem from what i read and was told. could be the lock blocks in the shifter itself or the detent balls.

the electrical problems, u are spot on...get new batteries in there and see if it happens again. the wipers could be a bad ground on the switch or just something with the low batteries.

sounds like a plan though!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power window motors are no big deal. Parts are still readily available. All the little stuff can be fixed. The trans is the biggest problem.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my take....
check the TX craigslist listings for the '99. that should give you a good idea on what you can get for your truck. I know from experience TX trucks get worked hard or they don't get worked at all. You know which category you fall in...noone else does. Still at the 4k mark on the note, you "should" be able to get at least that much out of your '99 and with just about enough to buy the '91.
Windows are easy to fix or convert out to manual windows. the trans is going to have to come out for a rebuild. I know from watching a few other new members here, there is a bolt action trans rebuilder lurking somewhere in TX. Hopefully he's within a day's drive away and if so, there could a reason for a good BBQ get-together;Sweet At worst, you can figure a off-the-shelf rebuild is going to set you back 2k. So can you hang onto the shifter long enough to make some $$$ to get the shelf unit?
good luck and thanks for joining:thumbsup:

rdrancher

Reaction score
Thanks for the greet towcat!

Up until 4 years ago I was in Santa Clarita, CA. A bit far from Santa Clara, but I guess as far a CA goes - same neck-o-the-woods. The SD was purchased in CA by the way and pretty clean. I'll check Craigs.

The trans deal doesn't bother me much 'cept when I was backing the bale spear into round bales while the wipers (with no blades) were going. Can you say "nails on the chaulkboard?"

rd

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the greet towcat!

Up until 4 years ago I was in Santa Clarita, CA. A bit far from Santa Clara, but I guess as far a CA goes - same neck-o-the-woods. The SD was purchased in CA by the way and pretty clean. I'll check Craigs.

The trans deal doesn't bother me much 'cept when I was backing the bale spear into round bales while the wipers (with no blades) were going. Can you say "nails on the chaulkboard?"

rd
you got no idea how many people who call 411 in Santa Clarita get fowarded to my number......cookoo and then telling them I'm 5 hours away from there is the clincher...;p
I had a old chevy that liked popping out of 4th on decel. I solved that by modifying a leather lead strap for a horse and throw the loop onto the shifter when I get into 4th. worked like a charm. It did get in the way sometimes if I forgot about it tho.