Need help

IH444t

Reaction score
So I had a broken clutch and brake assembly looks like the (po) tried to do a welding job to fix it and just butchered it, the clutch grinds into gear and is hard to put into gear because the old assembly flexes. So I went and ordered a new one off of ebay. Installed it today and when I depress the clutch the nut on the rod/bushing backs itself off. So I took it off and tightened with a impact and ratchet and it still backs itself off, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or knows a fix. Just fyi, po said he had new slave cylinder clutch and master cylinder replace right about a year ago.

Thanks.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The end of the shaft should have splines that engage the lever arm. It sounds like the arm is rotating on the splines. The arm is softer metal without splines. When it is tightened it should press on and conform to the splines. Once installed and removed it should show the spline location. Once installed and removed it is pretty difficult to clock the arm any way other than the way it was. If you rotate it one spline either way it is a big difference in location of the pin. Do you have an adjustable pushrod on the master?

IH444t

Reaction score
I have no clue if it is adjustable, don't even know how to check. I'm thinking of pulling the clutch assembly apart and seeing if there is anything wrong with it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just go pull a used pedal assembly. Throw in some new bushings, good to go for another couple hundred thousand.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the nut that is backing off on the end of the rotating shaft attached to the clutch pedal? That's what it seemed like from your description. If so, remove the nut and then the lever arm. Check the condition of the splines where the lever arm was. There should be spline impressions on the hole in the lever arm that lock the arm position on the shaft when the nut is tightened. It sounds to me like the splines are stripped allowing the arm to rotate on the shaft even with the nut tight. Maybe the shaft is too far to the left to allow the arm to fully engage the splines when the nut is tightened.