need help with finding a gear

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option would be a 10 lug conversion... though I am not sure how much those cost... but I know they are available.

thats fine for a reguilar everyday f250/f350 but not on a commercial vehicle.D.O.T. would have a field day with his truck having an 8 lug rear and 10 lug front.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had 4.63's in my 97 F450SD with a 7.3 PSD, it pulled great.....About the most I towed in the short time I had it was about 7000lbs and it handled that for a joke....Dana 80 rear, massive disc brakes - that I miss dearly.....That thing would stop on a dime with 3 or 4 ton on the deck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what ive read supposedly the idi 5 speed trucks were supposed to have the 4.63s.the psd trucks were another that was supposed to have those gears.i have not found 1 450 with those gears.i have a 95 450 now with a psd and 5 speed that has 5.13s.:dunno only thing you can do is deal with it.if you want a truck that gets good fuel milage and good highways speeds than an f450 is not the truck for you.these trucks were built to be workhorses and nothing else.they werent built to drive around in like a car like an f250/350 is built for.

owning an f450 puts you in the same class as a tractor trailer.you must have the doors lettered with a business name,must have DOT numbers,must have a DOT medical card,must have a DOT annual inspection(wich can take up to 3 hours in my state)its a commercial vehicle so you also need an IFTA (where applicable)sticker if you go out of state with it,any fluid leaks can and will cause the truck to be shut down and towed,then you cant drive it anywhere till the leaks are fixed and dot comes to your house or place of business to reinspect it.

for most people a 450 is not needed,as well as the additional headaches that go along with owning a commercial vehicle.an f350 thats setup right will do the same amount of work and haul the same loads as a 450 but without the extra hassles.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a dana 80.all 450s from 87-97 had dana 80s in them.the first couple years of the 450 had a 14,000 gvw while the later ones have a 15,000lb gvw.to run a gear other than 5.13s or 4.63 you need to buy a carrier for it as well as a set of gears.to me its not worth it for a few more MPH and a few more MPGs to take a powerfull truck and gear it till its a sled.dontmatter what you do its gonna be a slow fuel pig.you may get more MPH on the highway and a little better fuel mileage on the highway but youre gonna suffer big time around town with it as it will be a sledd in the city.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
owning an f450 puts you in the same class as a tractor trailer.you must have the doors lettered with a business name,must have DOT numbers,must have a DOT medical card,must have a DOT annual inspection(wich can take up to 3 hours in my state)its a commercial vehicle so you also need an IFTA (where applicable)sticker if you go out of state with it,any fluid leaks can and will cause the truck to be shut down and towed,then you cant drive it anywhere till the leaks are fixed and dot comes to your house or place of business to reinspect it.

...remove the F450 decals and replace them with F350 decals from a junkyard vehicle... lol of course that probably wouldn't work but it would be funny.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...remove the F450 decals and replace them with F350 decals from a junkyard vehicle... lol of course that probably wouldn't work but it would be funny.

sorry but DOT could care less about what the fender badges say.they only care about what the VIN and door tags say.

94 non stroker

Reaction score
the truck weighs a little over 13,000 loaded with tools and parts.. im not really worried about mpg...i get free fuel all im really worried about is being able to run 65 without reving over 2600.. if any one has or could find a 4.63 that would be really benefical a 4.56 would be preferable thats what i run in my two ton trucks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can find the other gears the rear axle is gonna cost you around 1500.00 or more.

i just learned to deal with mine with the 5.13s.but i was never really in any rush to get anywhere.dont need to be doing 70MPH with a little truck loaded to around 13-14,000 pounds with a normal load on it

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the truck weighs a little over 13,000 loaded with tools and parts.. im not really worried about mpg...i get free fuel all im really worried about is being able to run 65 without reving over 2600.. if any one has or could find a 4.63 that would be really benefical a 4.56 would be preferable thats what i run in my two ton trucks
ummmmm........
you can run these trucks off the governor all day long.
my 1st to 2nd shift is 2200
my 2nd to 3rd **** is 2600
3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th on the governor.
with the load you're carrying running off the governor will not hurt the motor one bit. my f450 is pinned on the governor all workday long and has been lke that since 1993;Sweet

94 non stroker

Reaction score
if anyone has any knowledge of a 2 speed thats available for these rears give me some info id be more than happy to test one out :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
has anyone every heard of a 2 speed for these trucks? maybe out of my mind a lil but that is exactly what i need

With all the low end torque modern commercial engines are putting out, 2 speed axles are getting pretty rare . Unless you live near a major metropolotin area like NYC or LA chances of finding a doner for a reasonabe rate are not good.
You can always pop a brownie in and get the same effect and have the same (actually stronger ) pulling strength to the driveline without the left in limbo problems that a 2 speed axle can do sometimes, since it's a manual shift. In fact with a brownie, you'd get 3 ranges for each gear I sure love mine ;Sweet