Need help removing a 7mm long piece of stainless glowplug from 7.3 IDI cyl 8

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
GP snapped off while removing. Looks like it was swollen and cracked already. I pushed the stuck piece back into the combustion chamber but so far haven't been able to tease it out.

My boroscope won't go into the injector hole. Camera tip is too large.

I looked for a thread on this, didn't see anything that looked good. Is there a comprehensive thread for my particular situation?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The piece went into the precup, there is no way to fish it out.

The only way to get it out now without taking the head off.

Remove the injector itself, depending on the size of the piece it may come up thru there. With a shop vac on/in the injector hole, keep spritzing compressed air into the glow plug hole, you may hear the piece rattle out thru the vac hose.

When you replace the injector, make sure the copper washer came out when you removed the injector the first time. You can reuse the washer if you don't have a new one. Use a fine file and scrap the old washer on it to clean it up. You may have to clean any carbon up on the injector seat in the head, be careful to not scratch the seat, you can use a 12 Ga shot gun cleaning brush to clean the bore.

Good luck.

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
ok, I got all the parts to do that together. Someone else suggested that but I didn't really have a good setup to make that work.

I am not sure how to seat the shopvac onto the injector hole. maybe I don't have to worry about that since the air going into the injector will provide the egress air just fine.

using a needle nose air gun, thinking I can probably find a rubber grommet to sleeve it with to get a seal on the gp hole.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove any extension part from the vac hose, just hold the hose as tight to the hole as you can, you don't have to go into the hole, don't worry about sealing the air nozzle, just spritz the air to try and rattle the piece around.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is not a fun job. Are you sure the piston is at top dead center? If so then as posted, you can hopefully use a shop vac and some air to cause this tip to come out the injector hole in the head. If the piston was NOT at top dead center you probably lost the tip into the cylinder. Running the engine will casue the tip to stick in the piston top. Do not run the engine if you have a turbo. This tip will ruin the turbo hot side fan wheel.

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
Well this is not a fun job. Are you sure the piston is at top dead center? If so then as posted, you can hopefully use a shop vac and some air to cause this tip to come out the injector hole in the head. If the piston was NOT at top dead center you probably lost the tip into the cylinder. Running the engine will casue the tip to stick in the piston top. Do not run the engine if you have a turbo. This tip will ruin the turbo hot side fan wheel.

Yeah not at TDC.

No luck so far. Not going to run the engine. Love my vehicle. If I need to, I'll have the vehicle towed to a shop that can handle this better than I can.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the tip fell out of the pre cup I would think it would stop the engine if you try baring it over. If you can rotate the engine a couple of revolutions, the tip is probably still in the pre cup. This doesn't help you get it out however.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow I never thought about using a magnet thru the injector hole. I suggest you try doing that before moving the engine cranking over. Hard telling if the tip is resting in the cylinder or the precup. Nice video too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something he the video guy said that woke me up.

If you have dropped the tip out of precup into cylinder...you can bar engine by hand and bring it up to contact tip and pizton and head....pinch it lightly between them. That is about 1/4".

Remove intake...remove keepers and springs on that cyl intake valve...maybe take some tape and tap locks in place on bare valve top ....slowly lower piston back down...pressing valve down into cyl at same time hopefully keeping contact with piston...once down enough you could fish a scope and or magnet down intake port past valve and get tip pieces...

Bring engine by hand back to tdc and see if locks up or goes around....

Just a brain fart but beats pulling head....and have to can still pull head.

JM ZD9 CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online