Need Help!!! Heating up issues :(

KanadianCC4X4

Reaction score
I'm kind of at a loss right now. My truck is heating up after driving for a while, but then Stop the truck leave it running and check under the hood and the top off the rad is hot but bottom and lower hose is cold. I have already replaced the rad cap and just changed the stat last night. The rad was replaced before i got the truck, I just recently started having this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also leaning towards faulty sensor, but not sure about that. this makes no sense cause my truck runs so nice and does'nt show any signs of actually heating up other than the gauge.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The factory gauge on the dash is a terrible source for telling you any real truth about what your engine is doing. If you drain down some of the coolant so you can see the tubes in the top rad tank. See if any corrosion appears around the tubes. If it does the new radiator is plugging up. That slows down the flow thru the radiator core so much the engine does not recieve enough to cool it. Even if the coolant is ice cold. Cool flow and a lot of it will keep these engines running right. Use an inspection mirror and look at the spring side of the fan clutch. If its got oil and dirt around the flat spring and seal area the clutch is shot. Time to replace.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaleb right? Do you have an aftermarket water temp gauge? If not, it would really let you know what is going on. When you say it is heating up, does the water temp light come on......... or does the factory gauge move far to the right hand side? If is puking coolant or pressurizing the cooling system/rad?

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaleb has factory gauges, no aftermarket gauges, no fan shroud either or AC and the short wide rad, I have not been successful in locating a shroud for him. I did have one and tossed it last year as I have tall narrow rad and no longer needed it.

My suspicion is it's a sender or gauge issue, we need to get a real temp gauge on it to fully ascertain what temp it truly is at before we get too caught up diagnosing symptoms... of which could just be a bad factory gauge..

chowitworkz

Reaction score
I will check when I get home and see if I have a short wide shroud I have changed my rad to the tall narrow one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen one listed on ebay just last week. I'm one the hunt for it..:sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Get a gauge in the rig, you will have a whole new level of knowing what is going on when it comes to your engine's temp. Aftermarket oil pressure and engine temp gauges are just about a necessity. Good luck.;Sweet

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
X2! My 84 always read in the upper range of "normal" when I got the truck and I was freaking out, even though the block wasn't very hot to the touch and the lower rad hose was cold...just like yours. I put a gauge in it and found that I was running at around 190 degrees and I had a hard time getting it any hotter. So...it was fine. My gauge was just fubared.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Kaleb stopped by, since his change to a proper thermostat, he has found it's working much better, much better and had an air lock too. That being said, Kevin 007 where ya gonna be, maybe stop by? Got a shroud?

chowitwrokz, if you have a shroud great, here it gets really really hot in the summer so I'd like to find him a shroud.

As for gauges, we are working on that and seeing what we can come up with for him, I find deals...he finds deals and it's working for us! LOL

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I had a shroud in my hand 3 weeks ago when I robbed parts from a truck up in nakusp. I tossed the shroud in the back because Im not in need of one....WOW I wasn't thinking that day...I usually hoard stuff. I'lll be in osoyoos, thinking about taking a dirtbike trip up the ashonola river, if I do, ill look you fellas up.

I have had zero luck with 'equis' gauges...i think thats how they spell it. Don't waste money on them

KanadianCC4X4

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the advice :) As Al already mentioned I did find the issue which was an air lock. I also got my stereo all hooked up and WOW! it pounds like crazy! Oh and another thing Al mentioned I am in need of a factory fan shroud if anyone out there has one kicking around. Well off to relax with the wifey and kids. Thank you all again!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a shroud in my hand 3 weeks ago when I robbed parts from a truck up in nakusp. I tossed the shroud in the back because Im not in need of one....WOW I wasn't thinking that day...I usually hoard stuff. I'lll be in osoyoos, thinking about taking a dirtbike trip up the ashonola river, if I do, ill look you fellas up.

I have had zero luck with 'equis' gauges...i think thats how they spell it. Don't waste money on them

Can't speak for Kaleb, but if I am around I'd be in for a coffee and meet you in Osoyoos, or if you Drive the 25-30 mins West to Cawston, you could hang here for a brew if you like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle