Need Advice, pilling cam to change timing gear housing seals

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size wood dowels do I need to hold the lifters up to pull the cam and how long do they need to be.

Any other tips appreciated.

Have a massive oil leak between block and timing gear case so I have to pull the cam to change it out. I suspect the KDP got the gear housing. Was like this when I bought it but the leak got really bad this last trip.... Used 3 gallons of oil in 600 miles:eek:. Already ordered parts from Cummins and will pick them up on the way home tomorrow.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Yikes! I don't know anything about the goat motor, but surely someone can help out. Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:eek: Damn the luck Mike!
That job can't be that bad...buy a manual too...we are getting too old to just "wing it" ;p:D

All I have to finish is replacing a broken valve spring in a '97 3.0 Taurus...if the rain will leave me alone....

Wanna do it this weekend? I'll give you my "special" rate :angel:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins Tech in Kenly told me they are 1/2" & cut a slot in the end you stuff in the lifter.... said cut to length needed.

Thanks TC, caught that article yesterday but it doesn't say squat about actually doing the job.

Will go pick up a manual, some dowels and rubber bands tomorrow when I run into town.

George, I was thinking of hiring you to do this job..... and not at the usual rate either........ you'll have to pay me for experience gained as a Cummins techLOL:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online