NEED A QUICK ANSWER--EVAPORATOR DRAIN

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the blower-motor out of my 85 F-350 A/C.

I just dug out about a gallon of leaves, Pine-needles, and un-identified slimy objects from between the blower and evaporator, almost twenty-two years worth.

Where is the evaporator drain??

If I flush-out the evaporator with a water-hose, will I drown my floor-board??

The evaporator seems awful grungy; it seems like I read about some spray stuff that would clean the evaporator.

What can I spray in there that won't hurt anything, but clean the evaporator??

Also, how do I get at the big pile of Pine-needles that I can see by looking through the vent-door??

Thanks.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shop-vac is your friend. A product called frigi-fresh is what you're after to clean that evap core- you might find it at NAPA.

Ryan

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I found an access hole, behind the right-side kick-panel.

I removed the cover-plate and fished out another gallon of leaves and :puke: .

I drowned the evaporator with FANTASTIC and let it soak; then, I drowned it again and put the water-hose to it.

The drain must be fine, as the water went out as quick as it went in, with no big pools in the cab. ;Sweet

The fan, itself, had about 1/4" buildup of **** on every blade.

I figured this extra weight was probably stealing a couple hundred RPM from it's speed.

I took the fan loose from the motor and dropped it in a bucket of Palmolive and water.

Then, I got after it with a toothbrush and plastic knife, scrubbing and scraping.

With the fan clean as new, I plugged the wires to it and held it, while the wife ran the switch through the four speeds.

There was a noticable rise in RPM with each higher setting.

I put everything back together and tried it out.

I gained a very noticable improvement in air speed/volume at all control settings. :thumbsup:

Now, the passenger A/C vents blow considerably stronger than the driver vents. :confused:

Is this normal, or do I need to fish around in my ducts for dead rats and such, to see what is obstructing the flow.

The driver side is about half as strong as the passenger side.

Thanks.