Nature of C6 Transmission Questions

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Colder weather, hoses are cold, you probably have a vacuum leak.
Take handheld vacuum pump and test the hoses from the truck's vac pump, the booster, the vrv to transmission, Modulator, etc. Worst case scenario, replace all vac hoses and reset the VRV to spec.
Despite some well intentioned umm people saying "well thats just how a c6 works" It is not. fix the problem, your transmission will run better, and it'll live a lot longer.

Thats a pet peeve of mine.... "C6 transmission don't shift well" "Twin I beam front suspension sucks" "brake drums aren't any good" This is stuff that is said by people that are too stupid to learn how the parts work, or too cheap to replace parts that were worn out 100k miles ago.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay then. Thank you for getting your point across. I suppose some of us, including myself on oilburners are just too stupid to learn how certain parts work.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok read the thread, I have built C-6 units since my teens, I have a collection of them and in my truck I have the best you can get short of cryogenically treating the internals.
7 clutch direct drum
reverse manual valvebody, no auto operation
2.84 low first gear
torrington neddle bearing in all 9 locations
F ratio servo fulcrum
Billet R piston servo piston with adjustable springs
4 pinion planetary
Kolene steels and Rabestos clutches
2.5 wide solid band
Gear vendors
I dont get the cold delay with my units, but that is something I resolved with brand of lubricant.
Now the root cause of the delay nobody has yet to describe it, wich is the valvebody construction, the body itself is aluminum and the valves are steel, this is the cause of delay, expansion rates are different with the two materials.
A top end synthetic oil makes a huge difference in cold operation, just like RLDSL has mentioned...

Javier

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, Ian, I can only say that the C-6 in my old F-250 was the ONLY reliable component on the whole truck, LOL. The 351W -and everything else- gave me nothing but trouble.

Kind of remember the C-6 shifting a bit differently when cold, but not sure...